The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If luongo holds out...who's your starting goalie?

Lui's Knob

I have to admit I have a secret hope that Brodeur has an awesome year and Cory gets minimal playing time. If New Jersey gets close to the cap maybe they have to trade Cory......one can dream anyway. To answer the OP, is looking at one of Chicago's goalies a possibility? I wonder if they are planning on keeping both Crawford and Emery.

Eriksson is an option,but a healthy Lack is better.Lack covers the bottom of the net just as good as Lou,and IMHO he has more of a compete level(Lou relies on positioning)Lack is big and he fights for the puck.Erikson is a little overhyped and a lot of swedes I know don't even know who he is but they know Lack.Frack Lou bring on Eddie lack,especially if he's healthy.Let Eriksson do his due time in the minors he could pan out sooner than later but right now my money is on a healthy Lack.

I have to admit I have a secret hope that Brodeur has an awesome year and Cory gets minimal playing time. If New Jersey gets close to the cap maybe they have to trade Cory......one can dream anyway. To answer the OP, is looking at one of Chicago's goalies a possibility? I wonder if they are planning on keeping both Crawford and Emery.

Bryzgalov and Tortorella is an explosion just waiting to happen, but if Luongo doesn't want to play then we really don't have any choice. Tim Thomas is too old and there's no way MG signs the goalie who beat us out for the Cup, and Miller would cost us too much.

Bryzgalov could be a wild-card. Maybe bringing him back out West is what he needs, and a coach like Torts could actually get him to focus, shut up and stop messing with the media. Crazier things have happened, and a change of scenery (plus a more solid defence) is exactly what he needs.

Thomas' contract was a 35+ so even if they suspended him and eventually voided the contract it'd count against their cap. Luongo's isn't a 35+ so if we did get to that point it wouldn't count. If he retired, well it'd depend on when he retired and if he was traded for what cap recapture penalty we'd be left with.

To find that out, go here: http://capgeek.com/r...ure-calculator/

Lack and Eriksson (as well as Cannata, but he's not as likely to be ready) will have a chance to compete for the starting role. The other will be a backup unless we sign another goalie anyway, but I'd think we would in the event Luongo doesn't want to come back.

Huet isn't a great option. He had stats both good and bad in the Swiss league before dropping to the 2nd tier league last season. He's 37 and hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. I'd rather go for Garon, Boucher or Theodore. We could even offer sheet someone with out new found cap space, like Markstrom, Hackett or Jake Allen. Rask doesn't techincally have a deal yet either...

Archived