The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Rask on verge of signing 8 year, 7M+ deal

I don't see how teams can continue to pay players like this with the cap going down.

It's exactly what the players said would happen. A two tiered system where the star players use up most of the cap, and then the 3rd and 4th line guys will be left with peanuts.

So? That's pretty much status quo for the economy in general. Big bucks for the big shots, and the replaceable parts pick up the scraps.

Difference here is that minimum wage for depth NHL players is 25 times the minimum wage for Joe Blow. So I'm not going to worry about them too much.

I really don't see how any team will sign for that much... regardless of a cup run or not, its hard to justify that kind of cash... and its very likely he wont do it again next season...

How much is Lu worth for carrying the team and getting to a game 7 of the SCF??? apparently nobody wants to trade for him. On a diff side-note Id like to see Boston give the kid 7mil per year for the next 7 years and that way their team will have less stars :P

He played incredible for them, no doubt! But it's an overstatement to say he carried the team. They also had the 4th highest G/G average, scored more goals than any other team (including Chicago who played 1 more game), were 2nd in face off wins, and had far more hits and blocked shots than anyone else in the playoffs. As much as I dislike Boston, you have to respect the fact that they ice a full team effort every game.

Sometimes when a team has 2 great goalies like the Bruins have in the last few years, it is more about the team.

I think any above average goalie playing for the Bruins will look like a star.

Ironic that Jacobs "the lockout bear" is on the verge of a super long contract like this.

These men are like coke addicts

Again, think of the real world. Does a CEO really deserve 50 times more salary than a hard-working warehouse guy?

Probably not, but that's the way our economy is built. You can find 30 guys to replace the warehouse guy tomorrow, but a capable CEO is harder to find, and absolutely necessary.

And if you don't think star players are necessary in the NHL, take a look at how teams full of only 2nd-4th liners are doing.

Rask has the best defensive system in front of him - any goalie would look fantastic with Julien's system and bloody Chara backing them up. Yes Rask is good, but he wouldn't be a Vezina nominee or in the conversation on any other team.

You'd think Luongo's situation would have steered teams away from these dangerously long deals, but nope. 5.3 million for a top-10 NHL goalie (current and all-time) is an absolute steal compared to what some guys have (see Miller, Bryzgalov and now Rask).

I don't see how teams can continue to pay players like this with the cap going down.

It's exactly what the players said would happen. A two tiered system where the star players use up most of the cap, and then the 3rd and 4th line guys will be left with peanuts.

Archived