The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can any of our young guns bump someone from the current roster?

Noseforthenet

What about defensemen & goalies...are they considered "young guns" too? Joe Cannata & Joacim Eriksson are both threats to Eddie Lack for the coveted back-up goalie position - if Eddie doesn't rebound from surgery or his recovery to full-form is pro-longed. Henrik Tommernes, Yannick Weber, & Frankie Corrado are all threatening to be regular or depth defensemen. Check out the size of that Cederholm kid...he's beast-like. Yah - I'm really eager to see how the pre-season shakes all of these players out...& can't wait to see who's finally left standing - when the puck drops on the season's opener.

This prospect camp has players attending with legitimate chances of being on the Canucks' big roster this fall. It's good fun following 'em along through their blogs & tweets...as they go through their paces. We may also be seeing quite a few of 'em at the World Junior Tournament down the road. This makes the scrimmages that are open to the public on Thursday @ 3:30 pm - worth watchin' - if ya can get there.

LOL our roster has so many holes they don't need to bump anybody Kassian is almost guaranteed a spot in the top 6, there's still a 3C spot for the taking and Booth/Higgins can easily have their spots taken by Jensen/Schroeder

The rookie most likely to actually bump a vet out of a job, IMHO, is Darren Archibald.

I can see him being a strong candidate for the 4th line LW job

If Schroeder makes the team he will not be bumping a vet. He'll be bumping one of the other rookies who aren't ready.

The rookie most likely to actually bump a vet out of a job, IMHO, is Darren Archibald.

I can see him being a strong candidate for the 4th line LW job

If Schroeder makes the team he will not be bumping a vet. He'll be bumping one of the other rookies who aren't ready.

Yea he'll most likely be going back to junior, but I wouldn't be shocked if he made it. They'll have to make the determination if he's close enough that he can learn on the fly, or if going back to junior and dominating would be better.

I basically see him as a young Kesler with more offensive upside then Kesler had at his age. Kesler got his start as a fourth liner when he was 21. Gaunce will be turning 20 this season.

Either way he'll be playing in the world juniors though.

Lol Kassian is not going to be send down next season. He's a vital part of the Canucks future and he will perform better with one full NHL season under the belt and a new coach who is known for letting young player play.

He's exact the type of player Tor like.

I could see a guy like Kassian break-out and take Burrows spot quite easily.

Jensen could very easily steal a top-6 spot from Booth or Higgins.

Hansen is on the verge of a break-out too and has gotten better and better every single season, so could end up in our top-6.

For all we know, our lineup could look like this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Hansen - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - Richardson - Burrows

Booth - Santorelli - Weise

I wouldn't be against that. Whoever plays better will play more. Wouldn't be shocked if Weise breaks out either - he's got size, speed and surprisingly some skill as he showed on a couple of goals over his career.

Is anyone here watching the same Schroeder play as I am? A small perimeter C, sounds to me like a guy Tort loves as a healthy scratch. I can't see him making this team as anything more then a bubble player ie; callup for injury purposes. Very strange to me how Raymond has always gotten shat on in Vancouver for playing a very similar style game with the exception that he actually scores once and a while.

Not to mention he is RFA and I think to qualify him was 1.2M

He would have to beat out the young guys recently drafted as well as Richardson and Santorelli and i can't see that happening.

Additionally if he doesn't make it this year it will be one more year of development for Horvat and Gaunce so the following year will prob be harder to make it.

He needs to be moved somewhere with room for a C in the system before he becomes an AHL Lifer. He is just not a fit here in Van

I would give guys like Horvat and Shinkaruk another year and not rush them this quickly. That leaves us with Schroeder, Gaunce, and Jensen. Most likely Schroeder and Gaunce will be competing for the 3rd line center spot and I could Jensen jumping in and out in case there's an injury.

get rid of booth, free up some cap space and play Jensen, Schroeder or Horvat. with lap gone, we will need a big guy like Jensen / Horvat in the line up(kassian seems lost, cant find a groove). with Roy gone, we need the speed and skill of Schroeder on the 3rd line with raymond and hansen. Torts has a good line up to work with, hopefully he can find some chemistry with these guys....

Is anyone here watching the same Schroeder play as I am? A small perimeter C, sounds to me like a guy Tort loves as a healthy scratch. I can't see him making this team as anything more then a bubble player ie; callup for injury purposes. Very strange to me how Raymond has always gotten shat on in Vancouver for playing a very similar style game with the exception that he actually scores once and a while.

Not to mention he is RFA and I think to qualify him was 1.2M

He would have to beat out the young guys recently drafted as well as Richardson and Santorelli and i can't see that happening.

Additionally if he doesn't make it this year it will be one more year of development for Horvat and Gaunce so the following year will prob be harder to make it.

He needs to be moved somewhere with room for a C in the system before he becomes an AHL Lifer. He is just not a fit here in Van

get rid of booth, free up some cap space and play Jensen, Schroeder or Horvat. with lap gone, we will need a big guy like Jensen / Horvat in the line up(kassian seems lost, cant find a groove). with Roy gone, we need the speed and skill of Schroeder on the 3rd line with raymond and hansen. Torts has a good line up to work with, hopefully he can find some chemistry with these guys....

Archived