The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to play Sens in 2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic

Grape

Super Excited about Vancouver hosting one of these events, but as many have already said, wouldn't January 25th or thereabouts be a much more logical time of year for Vancouver? By march we are counting flowers and wearing shorts and sandals already, many are at the beach starting to work on their new seasons tanlines....

:picard:

What a lame gimmick. An outdoor "winter" classic that is being held indoors and barely even in winter.

It should be at Empire Stadium sometime in February, but of course that only holds 30,000 vs BC Place's 60,000.

It's just a money grab. It has nothing to do with heritage.

I'm betting this event will be a tough sell and the NHL could end up looking stupid.

There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The NHL's greediest ownership group will undoubtedly try and gouge the fans with ridiculous prices. I'd imagine tickets will start at $150. Lower bowl $500+

2) "Outdoor Classics" are getting old and stale, it's 2014 not 2004.

3) It's not even an "outdoor" classic it's just a far worse indoor venue. BC Place is a terrible venue for the sports it's meant for never mind hockey.

4) Ottawa is probably one of the worst draws imaginable.

Yea I get that.

I just think they're overdoing it with all of these classics. The tradition is that these things are supposed to be held outdoors in winter. Lumping this one in with the other ones just cheapens the whole thing IMO.

I think it's awesome that it's in BC place, but I don't think it should be associated with the previous ones. Just call it a stadium series or something if they wanna start doing 4 of these a year at any venue they can make money in.

And teams like Calgary or Chicago would have been much more fitting.

I knew there were going to be a lot of debbie downers but I don't really care. This is a great chance to get a good group together and go have a great time! Big events like this are rare and when there are big events like this, getting tix can be difficult(playoffs). Just hope we get some ticket pricing relief, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Yea I get that.

I just think they're overdoing it with all of these classics. The tradition is that these things are supposed to be held outdoors in winter. Lumping this one in with the other ones just cheapens the whole thing IMO.

I think it's awesome that it's in BC place, but I don't think it should be associated with the previous ones. Just call it a stadium series or something if they wanna start doing 4 of these a year at any venue they can make money in.

And teams like Calgary or Chicago would have been much more fitting.

they have 4 of the stadium series already this season, plus 1 winter classic. this is the only heritage classic this season. every year has 1 winter classic, and 1 heritage classic. the difference this season is the stupid as all hell stadium series.

12493cz.png

Exactly my point. Over-saturation.

These things are gonna lose their lure if they keep doing 6 a year.

It should be 1 winter classic, and 1 heritage classic, and that's it. That's how the NHL gets the big tv audiences that they're looking for.

Archived