The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to play Sens in 2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic

Grape

Terrible venue? How so?

I find it a great venue for football, then again, my tickets are in the lounge. As for soccer, I haven't been to a game yet, but the guy who sits beside me goes all the time and says its an awesome experience.

It's a terrible venue for two reasons:

1) It's too big for CFL football, MLS soccer or NHL hockey. If you put any of those sports into an appropriate sized venue the atmosphere and experience would improve ten fold. There’s a reason pretty much every NFL team has torn down their 80's stadiums. The 1980's were the dark ages for all construction especially stadiums.

2) The stadium’s infrastructure is brutal. The reno just put lipstick on a pig. The only thing guaranteed for the "outdoor game", besides record prices, is long line ups. Long lineups for food. Long Lineups for beer. Long lineups to get in.

There’s a segment of fan boy’s (mostly 40 something men who are trying to relive their glory years) who love BC Place, but in reality it’s one of the worst stadiums in North America.

:picard:

What a lame gimmick. An outdoor "winter" classic that is being held indoors and barely even in winter.

It should be at Empire Stadium sometime in February, but of course that only holds 30,000 vs BC Place's 60,000.

It's just a money grab. It has nothing to do with heritage.

I attended the Heritage Classic in Edmonton in 2003. It was a horrible game - lousy sight lines because of the angle of the cameras in relation to the boards, bad ice conditions and the players appeared to treat the game like an all star, no hit affair. In addition, it was minus 28 C. I'd never attend another one in person.

If your looking for an event, yeah; looking for a good game, naah.

I don't care I'm excited about this. Mostly because I know I'm going to be watching the game on their 60 yard 1080p high definition screen.. It's all about the experience.. It's not every day that you get to see a Canucks hockey game in Vancouver that isn't in Rogers Arena.

Hell if they make new jerseys just for this event, I don't care. I'm still going to spend $220 just to buy a jersey for the game.

The Aqualini's would be pretty stupid to price this thing in that range. They should learn from the playoffs this year. They jacked up those prices and had trouble filling up the arena for a playoff game. If they jack up the price too high for this game with a seating capacity of 3 times Rogers Arena then they are going to create a huge mess of trying to fill up BC Place.

I was able to talk to my STH rep. Apparently this will be separate, with season ticket holders getting first chance to get tickets.

I asked if my price for my season tickets would now reflect a 44 game schedule instead of a 45..........she wasn't sure.

The leverage this company has with their wait list is shameless. They aren't sure if they plan to refund money for a game we no longer get.

It's a terrible venue for two reasons:

1) It's too big for CFL football, MLS soccer or NHL hockey. If you put any of those sports into an appropriate sized venue the atmosphere and experience would improve ten fold. There’s a reason pretty much every NFL team has torn down their 80's stadiums. The 1980's were the dark ages for all construction especially stadiums.

2) The stadium’s infrastructure is brutal. The reno just put lipstick on a pig. The only thing guaranteed for the "outdoor game", besides record prices, is long line ups. Long lineups for food. Long Lineups for beer. Long lineups to get in.

There’s a segment of fan boy’s (mostly 40 something men who are trying to relive their glory years) who love BC Place, but in reality it’s one of the worst stadiums in North America.

Archived