The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jagr with the Sedins

Hey guys,

I've been a fan of this team for over three decades now and have drowled at the thought of Jagr with the Sedins for years. I think the Sedins and Jagr could generate a lot of offence in the playoffs playing a puck possession cycling style of game and using the big shots in Edler and Garrison on the point.

Jagr signed last year for one year at 4.550 million, obviously he would have to take a bit of a pay cut this year. Do you think he would sign for $3.6 million this year? With the cap going down and him getting older I think he may have to settle for that type of number.

Although not scoring a whole lot in the playoffs he was an effective player for the Bruins in all the series and I truly believe he is one of the few players in the league that could compliment a cycle game with the Sedins and has an elite shot to finish when he gets the oppurtunity.

Pros

• Adds scoring depth to our top 6

• Allows Burrows to play with Kesler again. Kesler has always played his best hockey with Burrows in my opinion

• Gives us more options on the PP

• Gives us much needed size in the top 6

• Allows for more depth throughout the lineup

• Give Nicklas Jensen a year in the AHL to develop

• It's only a one year contract, still giving us room to resign the Sedins and Hansen for next year

Cons

• No room cap wise to give any of our kids a shot if they have a good camp

• Jagr is old and our top line would lack foot speed, we'd need to compensate that by giving them all of the draws in the offensive zone

• Doesn't allow us to be able to go after a 3rd line center should Richardson fail

• Doesn't allow us to add any sort of expensive player if an injury occurs

• We are really tight against the cap

Goaline's 2013/2014 Canucks

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.600m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Chris Tanev ($1.300m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,052,778; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $247,222

Well... what do you think?

Tanev probably won't sign that low unfortunately, and we need a 23 man roster. But Jagr was on my FA wishlist since day 1, and since there is that rule in the CBA where you can exceed the cap by up to %7.5 when you sign a player over 35 to a contract with a performance bonus.

So instead of signing him to a 3.6m contract, we should just sign him to a 1 million dollar contract with a 3.5m performance bonus.

Jagr can sign a bonus heavy contract, and the Canucks can push those bonuses on to next years' cap. See: Alfie: 3.5M base, 2M bonus; Iggy: 1.8M base, 4.2M bonus. We could throw an offer in the 5M range for Jagr if it was bonus heavy.

Also would rather have Jagr playing with Kesler 5-on-5, but with the Sedins on the PP.

He guys, I was thinking that a world class player might come to Vancouver and give us a chance at greatness, lol. Of course, our GM is POISON and no world class player in his right mind will come here for fear of being traded two years into their contract. What do you guys think?

He guys, I was thinking that a world class player might come to Vancouver and give us a chance at greatness, lol. Of course, our GM is POISON and no world class player in his right mind will come here for fear of being traded two years into their contract. What do you guys think?

I have also thought about this for a couple years now too, I think it would be a perfect fit for the Sedins, but at the right price. Jagr seems to sign for more than what I believe he's worth, and that's when I start to question him coming here, it has to be the right price. He's 41 not getting younger, yes he's still a good player, but he's not 30 anymore, plus he seems to get injured quite a bit, lots of times his groin. He signed with Philly for $3.3M, and last year Dallas signed him at $4.5M, what's he looking for now $5M?

Like I said I think he would be a perfect player for the Sedins, just like I have thought Bertuzzi would also be a perfect player for the Sedins, but at what price. If Gillis can get Jagr at $3.5 MAX ok, or even a lower signing but have a player bonus where he could make more if say he plays a certain amount of games, or certain amount of points sure. Anything more than $3.5M isn't worth it, especially with the salary cap.

FORWARDS

Zack Kassian ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce/Jordan S. ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)

I think that Richardson will play, and maybe will he play the whole year on the 3rd but i believe that he has to really outperform both GAunce and JS as the canucks would rather give there young guys with MUCH higher cieling a chance over a guy that has to play out of this world to put up 40 pts.

That being said, whats the chances we have a full healthy lineup all season!!!! quite likely this is our lineup for a bit:

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / kassian

jensen / jordan shroader / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Forget it! We need to get younger and faster, not older and slower. Jagr has nothing left in the tank in the playoffs, and that was after a shortened 48 game schedule. How well will he play in a full 82 game season? Plus I don't think he's interested in coming to the west

FORWARDS

Zack Kassian ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce/Jordan S. ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

I think that Richardson will play, and maybe will he play the whole year on the 3rd but i believe that he has to really outperform both GAunce and JS as the canucks would rather give there young guys with MUCH higher cieling a chance over a guy that has to play out of this world to put up 40 pts.

That being said, whats the chances we have a full healthy lineup all season!!!! quite likely this is our lineup for a bit:

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / kassian

jensen / jordan shroader / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Archived