The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 21 Players Elect Salary Arbitration

Maybe bc the guy sucks hairy balls and should feel lucky to even have an NHL contract?

He has a position on this team simply because he is big and cheap and we're cap constrained.

if the idiot thinks he's worth more than 750k I sure hope he is awarded it and the nucks let him walk.

what a moron

You're oversimplifying this though. Maybe in a regular off-season yeah you go for that, but take a look around the market here in the NHL. This is a very weird off-season. Most of the guys on this list, the depth guys, are essentially going all-in by going to arbitration. If their teams walk away from them, they're likely out of a job this year.

Basically I understand where they're coming from, financially and emotionally, but still. High risk mediocre reward, imho.

edited to add - what I meant by oversimplifying is you're equating 'chance to get' with 'taking'

I agree he's not being greedy, when you see the money being showered around the league elsewhere, you're gonna want some your self ... I would that's for sure.

That being said, you look at the cap crunch we're in and you realize, yeah, $100k could be make or break on this team. And I'm not sure he would get that or more elsewhere in the league. We took him off waivers, and he hasn't done much outside of the Netherlands to encourage a big payday.

Fair enough.

At the end though, it's up to the players to decide whether they wanna take the risk or not. That being said, I really don't think Weise is being greedy when he's going for that extra 100k or so. In fact, I think that this isn't at all a high risk move by Weise, which is why I pretty much equated 'chance to get' with 'taking.' And even if we "walk away," I think Weise would be able to sign somewhere else, perhaps for even more money.

Yea, cuz he scored 6pts in 40 games and will likely get less than 1 mill....

at least guys like Wheeler have something to gain out of this. I wish the arbitrator would just laugh and tell Weise and the Nucks to part ways

I hope arbitration keeps Weise under the threshold where his cap hit does not count if he's sent down ($850k I believe?)... Its what makes him worthwhile, sort of.

The most interesting names on that list are Stewart and Bogosian. Bogo has not hit his stride yet. Stewart has had a Cpl superb seasons sandwiched around some bad ones. I wonder what will get rewarded? I'd like either!

/does victory lap/

one interesting thing I learned from that article though was that ' a player can be taken to arbitration only once in his career'. I'd never heard that before and wonder if it applies across the board, as in even if you have an older player who was taken to arbitration by a different team a decade ago, he's still protected.

Archived