The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hurricanes still talking to "Big Name"

Hurricanes still talking to "big name":

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford revealed on Tuesday that he is still in talks with a "big name free agent" and is trying to create space on the roster to add him.

In an interview with 99.9 The Fan, Raleigh's ESPN affiliate, Rutherford admitted that he's close to signing an "upper-tier guy" to a one-year deal.

"There's one guy that has said he will take less on a one-year contract to come to us, because he likes our team and he'd like to play here," Rutherford said. "I've been continuing to work on ways to do that.

"We're going to have to move a player out before we're able to add a player, and at this point in time I haven't been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently."

It has been widely speculated that future Hall-of-Famer Jaromir Jagr might be heading to Carolina, but many have contradicted those reports, including Hurricanes beat writer Chip Alexander.

Rutherford indicated that he wasn't in the market looking at too many free agents, but when this opportunity arose, he felt he needed to act on it.

Defenseman Ron Hainsey and right wing Damien Brunner are two players still looking for new homes.

Meanwhile, Rutherford admitted that he expects fifth-overall selection Elias Lindholm to make the Hurricanes' roster for when the 2013-14 season begins in October.

"I'll be surprised if he doesn't," he told The Fan. "He's a young guy, and we always have to be careful with young guys, but he did play in the men's elite league in Sweden last year. The fact that he's already experienced playing with men, I think we're going to give him every opportunity to play here. And I think he will."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car130710.html

I wonder who it is.

I love how if any top 6 player goes anywhere, suddenly it's "wow look at their top 6 now, it's stacked!".

Jagr is old and slow. He's still got some game, but he's mostly just a support player on an already good team. Carolina is not a good team.

I love how if any top 6 player goes anywhere, suddenly it's "wow look at their top 6 now, it's stacked!".

Jagr is old and slow. He's still got some game, but he's mostly just a support player on an already good team. Carolina is not a good team.

From what little I have been following Jagr was the name being mentioned as most likely to sign in Carolina.

Plus Grabo doesn't make much sense given E. Staal, J. Staal, Tlusty, and Skinner are all natural centers. Jagr would fit nicely with Semin and Eric.

Even getting Joni back the defense still sucks but they would have a nice deep offense.

Really? So they're a good team, except their defense sucks? Think about that one for a second.Having good defense is part of being a good team...

They're also in one of the easiest divisions in the league and yet finished in the bottom 5. Yet somehow they're a "great team"? And I'm the one that's smoking something. :rolleyes:

their only flaw was defence. they have an all star goalie, top 5 offense, but their defense sucks.

nice googling skills to find out they're in an easy division. it was only a 48 game season they could have turned it around. look at their top 6.. name me 4 top sixes better than that. yeah you cant.

is toronto a great team?

think about that..

are the islanders a good team?

shortened season any team can do well. columbus almost made it.

their only flaw was defence. they have an all star goalie, top 5 offense, but their defense sucks.

nice googling skills to find out they're in an easy division. it was only a 48 game season they could have turned it around. look at their top 6.. name me 4 top sixes better than that. yeah you cant.

is toronto a great team?

think about that..

are the islanders a good team?

shortened season any team can do well. columbus almost made it.

Archived