The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[signing] Canucks sign Travis Green to head Comets

DrChill

“There was talk about it right away, there was shock and surprise when it happened,” said Green. “But our group, what we’ve developed here, we know that life is not easy. Getting to the NHL is not easy. There are lots of times I remember going to the rink in the NHL and you have some stuff on your plate at home, whether your kids are sick, or you’re not feeling well and you have to go to the rink. You have to block it out and you have to play a great hockey game, you can’t just go and be average or you’re not going to play the next night.

“We talked about how it’s not good for our team, it’s not productive, Mike being gone is going to hurt our team. But what do we do? You go to the rink and you play the game. I told them I’m going to give them everything I have and they have given me everything they have.”

Well yea, Johnston was the GM of the team as well, of course he put the team together.

Green still guided the team to a WHL championship, so he must have had some idea of what he was doing. Johnston wasn't able to do that in his previous two seasons as head coach.

Regardless, here's an article on the situation:

http://www.edmontons...eld-it-together

I also found this kind of amusing:

Green played for the Canucks in AV's first season in Van I believe. I always admired the way he played the game. A great role model to young players on persistence and hard work. With no AHL coaching experience there are no gurantees but everyone starts somewhere.

Archived