The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospect Camp Live Scrimmage Thursday - 3:30 PM

Those were the standouts for me anyway. Would have liked to see Cannata/Subban play, but both out either with fatigue or injuries from camp. Notable mentions to Cederholm for his solid break out passes, and Indrasis for a few scoring chances.

Took a stab at our potential prospects camp roster:

Shinkaruk – Gaunce – Jensen

Indrasis – Horvat – Grenier

Blomstrand – Cassels – Mallet

Myron – Lain – Sylvester (?)

Tommernes – Corrado

McEneny – Subban

Cederholm – Hutton

Cannata

Eriksson

Guys like Labate, Williamson, Beattie, etc. are going back to Uni, so had to plug in some assumptions with Indrasis and Sylvester. I also realize the roster will be closer to 23-25 players, but I figured I'd give it a shot with our best prospects. Am I missing anyone that should be a lock?

After watching the scrimmage twice now, I felt the players that stood out most were:

Blue:

Tommernes - my god what a skater! He's calm, and plays smart at both sides of the ice. Unbelievable vision and ability to get pucks through. I remember him stopping what looked to be a sure goal from the green team, when he got back in time and knocked the puck off the stick of the streaking green player. Also Dave Gagner mentioned he expects Tommernes to see some games with the big club, which is awesome!

Cassels - he got the first goal for the blue team, basically off the puck drop. He poked it in at the side of the net, and was buzzing through both periods. He looked good on the backcheck too. I think he'll have a break out season in the OHL coming up.

Kennis - That's right, I'm digging deep with this one. He's a walk on from the Swiss league, and he benefitted greatly by having Jensen and Gaunce on his line.

Gaunce - scored for the blue team, strong on the puck all game and great work ethic. I don't like his goal however, as it looked like he snagged it from behind the goalie (which was a sure goal) just to poke it in himself and take credit. You do have to love that he's crashing the net though.

Jensen - Solid outing. Easily the most NHL ready. Invisible in his own end, from what I saw anyway.

Green:

Blomstrand- I'm loving these late round Swedes! Seriously though, he can fly. He forechecks hard and can beat defensemen wide. Kids a gem.

Mallet - There's no freaking way this kid is only 6'1'', that or he's added some serious bulk. He skates fast, scored on a penalty shot with what looked like a Kesler leg-kick. He checks hard, skates fast and is tenacious on the puck. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

McEneny - He knows when to pinch on the play, and scored because of it. He sees the ice well and made a few smooth break out passes.

Horvat - Held the puck solo for what looked like a minute in the opposing end.He has great puck control, good sense of where he should be and was a boss at both ends of the ice.

Shinkaruk - as advertised he's a tenacious little bastard. The blue team didn't have the puck much when Shinkaruk - Horvat were out there, just pure domination.

Those were the standouts for me anyway. Would have liked to see Cannata/Subban play, but both out either with fatigue or injuries from camp. Notable mentions to Cederholm for his solid break out passes, and Indrasis for a few scoring chances.

Watched the game again and another player that stood out to me was #73 Jeremy Blain. Hutton his partner looked good too and stopped an open net attempt by someone on blue right near the end of the game. Players that all in all impressed me were

Blue

#54 Cory Kane (though he was the player that injured Corbeil, and his defensive play wasn't great), #50 Brendan Gaunce, #57 Henrik Tommernes, #46 Nicklas Jensen, #65 Alex Grenier, #59 Wesley Myron, #60 anton Cederholm, #77 Ronalds Kenins, and #52 Cole Cassels

Green

#58 Ludwig Blomstrand, #53 Bo Horvat, #48 Hunter Shinkaruk, #78 Alexandre Mallet, #56 Joe Labate, #61 Evan McEneny, #73 Jeremy Blain, #49 Ben Hutton, and #74 Cody Sylvester wasn't bad either.

Edit: And to make a lineup out of this for the prospects tourney (excluding college bound players like Labate)

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Kenins Gaunce Grenier

Blomstrand Cassels/Mallet Kane

Myron Cassels/Mallet Sylvester

Tommernes Corrado

Blain Hutton

McEneny Cederholm

And to make a lineup out of this for the prospects tourney (excluding college bound players like Labate)

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Kenins Gaunce Grenier

Blomstrand Cassels/Mallet Kane

Myron Cassels/Mallet Sylvester

Tommernes Corrado

Blain Hutton

McEneny Cederholm

Guest Dasein

LOL seeing these potential lineups for prospects tournament makes me giggle..

Remember when our center depth was 1st line Schroeder, 2nd line RANDOM INVITE, 3rd line Schneider, 4th line PLUG?

Ya - now the top 3 is Gaunce, Horvat and Cassels. STACKED.

And to think we have Schroeder too, who's graduated... Nice.. VERY nice..

Kane is going back to Ferris State, I believe. Hutton is for sure going back to Maine. And no Subban?

--------------------------

Not sure why some lineups have Indrasis over Kenins. Based on what i saw, Kenins outplayed Indrasis by a fair margin. Was much more active in the play, moved his feet well and pursued the puck. Indrasis was floating around, not really generating much. Baumer also mentioned Kenins as a guy they'd like to have in the system. I hope he gets a contract, could be a good guy to develop in Utica.

Going to give a try at a lineup:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Mallet

Kenins - Gaunce - Jensen

Blomstrand - Cassels - Grenier (although i really dislike Grenier, don't feel like he was worth a contract)

Invite - Myron - Sylvester

Invite could be: De Champlain, Hope, Mychan

Tommernes - Corrado

McEneny - Blain

Cederholm - Subban

Liberati

Blain played the right side at the scrim and that's where i saw him in Chicago. Cederholm played the left and Subban is a natural right side D, so it makes sense to have them together.

Archived