The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is MG slow in signing RFAs

JamesB

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A quick look at CapGeek shows that a lot of teams are signing RFAs pretty quickly. There are still some significant RFAs out there (such as Gagner and Kadri) but not that many. The Canucks have not signed any of their RFAs. Weise was supposed to be "close" but has now filed for arbitration, Tanev's agent has tersley reported "no progress", Schroeder's agent says they will begin (!) discussions this week, and I have heard nothing about Lain and the others.

I am wondering why. A likely explanation is that the search for a head coach and working out the details with the Comets took up time that would otherwise have been spent on RFA discussions and negotiations.

However, I wonder if the new cash-constrainted version of the Canucks is trying to low ball the RFAs.

Another possibility is that MG wants to leave cap room for bargain-basement UFAs who might be around for a while. Right now a lot of money has been spent, a lot of teams are already close to, and in some cases above, the cap, and no teams are below the cap floor. The remaining free agents must be getting nervous.

Or maybe MG is, as always, just being slow and deliberate (as with Luongo).

The case I am most concerned about is Tanev. Now that Tanev has an agressive (greedy?) agent I suspect there might be a big gap between the two sides. Personally, while I like Tanev, and while he plays a safe game and is a reliable guy for thrid pairing minutes, he does not bring the positives to the table (scoring, physical game) that would elevate him to top 4 money.

If anyone knows anything, or has any ideas, or wants to make predictions, I would be very interested.

If you are not interested, please just ignore this thread rather than posting insults.

Thanks

I think it's MG just taking time to assess the team's structure, available talent, and cap space. Why offer an RFA a pay raise if that player can be replaced with a youthful player on an ELC? Maybe a trade is in the works? I think most gms are waiting to properly analyze their prospects before moving forward with their RFA's because they know they have the time to do so.

It's not like all of the other GMs are super fast at signing RFAs and MG is slow, they are all slow. Why? Because RFAs don't want to immediately sign contract extensions, because they are hoping that another team will offer sheet them and they will earn more money. Plus, they have a chance to file for arbitration and possibly earn more money. Everyone seems to forget that there are two sides to this. I'm sure MG would love to resign Tanev and Weise to get it over with. If you look at all of the rest of the teams in the league, all of them have unsigned RFAs still, not just us.

I think it's MG just taking time to assess the team's structure, available talent, and cap space. Why offer an RFA a pay raise if that player can be replaced with a youthful player on an ELC? Maybe a trade is in the works? I think most gms are waiting to properly analyze their prospects before moving forward with their RFA's because they know they have the time to do so.

Good point. I wonder if there is anything in the works. Obviously most of the top players have NTCs but I wonder about trading the rights to Tanev or Shroeder, for example.

It would nice to see one more move that helps the team upgrade. And I agree that MG might be willing to wait and see if Gaunce or Jensen or even Horvat looks ready to play.

ur precious Mike gillis mark my words at the end of the year or even midway you will be asking to fire gillis

ps ..i will not rest until they fire this joke of a manager who trades away a franchise player for a draft pick

trades a pure goal scorer for a buyout d -man

trades a future captain for a bust

Most likely due to cap constraints - players might want one-way deals, and those deals could potentially count against the cap if the Canucks send the player down (So this year the magic number is 900,000).

So for example, if Weise/Schroder want a 1-way deal, it's fine as long as his cap hit is less than 900,000. For Schroeder my guess is that he wants more money than that, so the Canucks might struggle with him.

For Tanev, its likely the Canucks want him around 1.5-1.8, whereas Tanev likely sees himself around 2.25-2.5.

But it's been 5 days people since July 5......dealing with the UFAs, coach and Utica were all much more pressing issues......

ur precious Mike gillis mark my words at the end of the year or even midway you will be asking to fire gillis

ps ..i will not rest until they fire this joke of a manager who trades away a franchise player for a draft pick

- Perhaps you missed the news. It was Schneider that got traded, not Lu. We're OK.

trades a pure goal scorer for a buyout d -man

- Seriously? I can't believe that with your incredible foresight you are not on every Stanley Cup winning team's payroll

trades a future captain for a bust

- Again you may not have heard the news, it was Hodgson that got traded, not Kesler. And who's the bust? Kassian? I realize that by this point in his career he should definitely be in the top 20 of NHL scorers, but I don't think he's a bust just yet. Again, with your amazing foresight some GM in the NHL needs to grab you and get you paid. Have you considered working up the hockey ladder, say, scouting players for Pee Wee then see where that takes you?

Archived