The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense Pairings for 2013/2014 Season

As of right now, and with Tanev hopefully re-signing, I would like to see this.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado/Weber

Garrison would still play some shifs with Edler or Hamhuis I think, and more time if we get plenty of powerplays in a game, so I wouldn't be too concerned with him on the 3rd pairing. Could still get around 15-16 solid minutes depending on how each game progresses

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado/Weber

Garrison would still play some shifs with Edler or Hamhuis I think, and more time if we get plenty of powerplays in a game, so I wouldn't be too concerned with him on the 3rd pairing. Could still get around 15-16 solid minutes depending on how each game progresses

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado/Weber

Playing Garrison on the third pairing makes him a VERY overpaid player, even if he gets extended powerplay time. It also doesn't reflect his actual ability to play defence.

Jason Garrison is good enough to play top four minutes during the regular season. He is sound defensively, he's physical, and he was moving the puck well during the back stretch of the last season.

I think the reason people are underrating him (again) is because he sucked in the playoffs and simply couldn't be relied on. If I can quote Gillis on this one and call it an "anomaly", we can expect Garrison to start playing well again, and get some big goals here and there.

Playing Garrison on the third pairing makes him a VERY overpaid player, even if he gets extended powerplay time. It also doesn't reflect his actual ability to play defence.

Jason Garrison is good enough to play top four minutes during the regular season. He is sound defensively, he's physical, and he was moving the puck well during the back stretch of the last season.

I think the reason people are underrating him (again) is because he sucked in the playoffs and simply couldn't be relied on. If I can quote Gillis on this one and call it an "anomaly", we can expect Garrison to start playing well again, and get some big goals here and there.

Hamhuis Garrison was arguably the Canucks most effective shutdown pairing last season.

I'd like to see Edler get a full season in with Tanev as well. I think those two compliment each other well. Edler has size and is strong along the boards while Tanev is reliable in his own end and can get the put out consistently.

That leaves Bieksa. What the Canucks could use is another big strong left handed D man. An upgrade on Alberts would be good. That would be a very physical defence pairing.

I like the idea of having more of a role-type identity to our D next year. Having 1st/2nd/3rd qualifications is meaningless. The D is well rounded so just play them according to the roles needed.

Archived