The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GMMG vs. NHL13

ABNuck

This will be a lengthy read but please read it before commenting...by the way I'd like to present this in point form but I can't seem to get my <return> button to drop down a line...any suggestions? So here we go...There's been a lot of GM bashing on here recently, and as well quite a bit of defending. Sadly most of those topics deteriorate into childish banter and retorts, and subsequently get moderated into "LOCKED" status (please don't lock this till you hear me out...please...puppy dog eyes emoticon). I wonder if part of the problem is the perception that the general population has with respects to the power, positioning and bargaining abilities of our GM. I believe that this perception may be built upon a false platform, namely unrealistic expectations that are fueled by an unrealistic representation of what an NHL GM goes through on a daily basis. This is due mainly to ignorance. This ignorance isn't wrong in of itself, as few of us would ever get the opportunity to be a real-life owner, GM or player agent, and as such rely on outside experience (sensationalized media reports and sadly, yes, Be A GM mode in the NHL series of games) on which to form our opinion. For myself, I can only speak from my own experience (AGM and Head Coach at Junior Level) which is a far far cry from a professional of equal position. That being said, I do feel that the game series, when played realistically (ie/ hardest mode, salary cap in place etc etc) can be a good teaching tool to help ones understand how difficult that job really is. But just for comparison sake, let's look at the game model versus the real life model to get a better sense of it. Basically, there are only 4 ways that a team can acquire a player (Draft and develop, Trade, Free Agency signing, Waiver Acquisition). Much of the debate over GMMG's value is fueled within this area (player acquisition). So let's focus here and look at an example of each: 1/ Draft and Develop. This is the most uncertain way to tell. NHL13 gives the user the ability to get drafting and developing down to a science as it both presents the future ability of the player along with the ability for multiple "do-overs" until you get it perfect. The reality however is that every team has had a top pick fizzle, a bottom pick thrive etc. so our experience is no different. Let's look at 2 examples...CS and CH9. Cory Schneider was always Plan B...that's why we signed Lu to such a long contract anyways. CS developed faster than normal which actually put us in a great position (it's like buying a Ferrari and getting Porsche thrown in for free...not a bad position to be in). Unlike NHL13 where you are rewarded for having a glut of talent, in the real world you are punished (ie/ other GM's will take advantage of the fact that you can't sign and keep both, therefore lowering the value of the one to be moved). Cody is a different story. Canucks management did the best they could albeit at they times appeared to have mishandled his development (medically and opportunity wise), however since neither MG or AV is a doctor, they can only go on what they are advised. As for opportunity, well, with Sedin and Kesler ahead of him at centre and a desire to win a cup NOW with more experienced players in our top 6, sadly the opportunity for a top 6 role just didn't materialize. So again unlike NHL13 we will not realize the full return for his value since other GM's know that he has no future in Vancouver and thus we were FORCED to move him (a bit by CH9 and his agent, and a bit by pressure to succeed now). Additionally, we are a victim of our ongoing success, we always draft in bottom of round 1. And if you want to move up, well, it's gonna cost you...this year it cost us CS. 2/ Trade. In real life you can't push the yellow button and see the words "Trade Accepted". Every GM is trying to outwit the other, so sometimes you sucker, sometimes you get suckered, and sometimes it's a draw. And player value is not nearly what NHL13 makes it out to be...Ballard's trade value is nowhere near what it is presented as in NHL13, when no other real world GM wants his contract...especially in the cash strapped lowered cap real world. 3/ Free Agency Signing. This is one area where real life and NHL13 are fairly accurate except for 1 thing: human factor. We would love it if we simply got the FA because we presented the best contract (terms and financials). But sadly sometimes this isn't the case (see Doan). NHL13 doesn't take history, stability, family etc into account. So for some reason we all seem to think that GMMG can sign any and every FA that comes down the pipeline. Here's another factor regarding FA's: they're overpaid. Sometimes you have no choice (hole to fill etc.) but here's where we are a victim of our push to succeed...we went out and got who we could (who would sign here) and slightly overpaid in some cases (ie/ Garrison etc) in order to win NOW. We traded capspace in the future for the all-in-win-it-all-now path. This sadly handcuffs us when the cap goes down (this year). In NHL13 this is easy to fix...simply trade Bieksa and 3 first rounders to Winnipeg for Bogosian and presto problem solved. Real life, not so easy. Everyone else is up against the same cap, so they don't want to take on the problem you have with cap space and unless you are in full rebuild mode and trade established players for picks, well you're stuck with the players that you went "all-in" with. 4/ Waiver Acquisitions. This one speaks for itself. In NHL13 I once picked up David Krejci off waivers, I once picked up Hamhuis off waivers and once lost Carlson to waivers etc etc. I don't think I need to state how this would NEVER EVER happen in the real world. If a player is waived, there's a reason (think Souray). So all-tolled, when you really assess the job GMMG has done, he's actually done pretty good for a rookie GM. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's not the best, but he's far far from the worst. At least Jay Feaster isn't our GM.

I got about a quarter way thru and got tired of reading a wall of text. Not sure why u can't use spaces or tab button if ur return doesn't work??

Anyways I get that ur supporting gmmg in this post. Personally I think he totally effed up the goalie situation.. If his plan was to trade Cory then he should of done it 2 years ago. Not appoint him as the starter, sign him to an extension and throw Lou under the bus. He can blame the cba all he wants for making Lou's contract untradable, but if he hasn't gotten greedy and traded Lou a year ago that wouldn't of been a problem..

Way I see it is gillis has one maybe 2 more years to turn around this team and his mistakes.. His trades have been awful aside from erhoff one and for some reason he lets solid players walk, Torres!!

I bet bo makes the team this year jus so gillis can say he traded Cory for an impact player that will help this year. He's making a mess of this organization and I hope Lou tells him to eff off

I got about a quarter way thru and got tired of reading a wall of text. Not sure why u can't use spaces or tab button if ur return doesn't work??

Anyways I get that ur supporting gmmg in this post. Personally I think he totally effed up the goalie situation.. If his plan was to trade Cory then he should of done it 2 years ago. Not appoint him as the starter, sign him to an extension and throw Lou under the bus. He can blame the cba all he wants for making Lou's contract untradable, but if he hasn't gotten greedy and traded Lou a year ago that wouldn't of been a problem..

Way I see it is gillis has one maybe 2 more years to turn around this team and his mistakes.. His trades have been awful aside from erhoff one and for some reason he lets solid players walk, Torres!!

I bet bo makes the team this year jus so gillis can say he traded Cory for an impact player that will help this year. He's making a mess of this organization and I hope Lou tells him to eff off

MG has handcuffed himself but I do agree with everything except the Hodgson trade. I feel that if he really needed to be traded wait until the draft because he was doin great for a 3rd liner and the only thing holding him back was the fact we had 2 great centers. I just don't get why we didn't play him 2nd line RW as playmaker to Kesler. But anyways if he kept up his pace until the playoffs we would have had that much more depth scoring cause one of the issues in 2012 was lack of depth scoring and Cody could have helped that out so we could have at least had a better chance to make it to the second round. So in that one MG really handcuffed himself

Archived