The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Gillis settle this team too much?

Bodee

It occurs to me that if Gillis was unable to get the big gritty sniper for the top line OR the big dominant stay at home D then maybe he should have looked to get better and stronger further down the line instead of handing out NTC's

My point is could we have parted with Higgins, Hansen, Lappiere, Booth and maybe even Burrows sooner at the end of the 2012 season?

Other teams seem to have no bother in changing faces to affect some momentum. Should we have been more flexible in our team building?

He did it with Sami to good effect (although I don't think Garrison is an actual upgrade) and given a better team performance Garrison might have looked even better last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is could we have gone for a grittier tougher 3rd and 4th line with a bit more skill to compensate for our lack of top 6 push back.

Lappy is gone so no biggie, Booth is injured and nobody will trade for a broken player and can't be bought out. Higgins has played very well at times and at 2.5 is a very reasonable contract, Hansen... talk about a money ball player. His tenacious speedy forecheck is gritty and he brings a lot to the table. As for Burrows he could be moved but only for that Big gritty top line sniper you speak of and if a deal like that ever came up you better believe MG would pull the trigger.

MG has made mistakes but everything you have said here is not in line with that.

This team was built for a 2011 run. Gonna take some re-tooling to make another decent go at it.

Higgins contract is a concern, but not a huge one at $2mil.

Burrows at $4mil is also a concern.

The defense is good, but looks a bit expensive. We say they're on bargain rates, but a lot of decent guys around the league are currently being signed for more affordable prices.

If the Sedins leave as UFA's next summer, that would be a fairly significant shakeup.

For the time being we're being sold on the coaching change being a big help. We'll see.

It occurs to me that if Gillis was unable to get the big gritty sniper for the top line OR the big dominant stay at home D then maybe he should have looked to get better and stronger further down the line instead of handing out NTC's

My point is could we have parted with Higgins, Hansen, Lappiere, Booth and maybe even Burrows sooner at the end of the 2012 season?

Other teams seem to have no bother in changing faces to affect some momentum. Should we have been more flexible in our team building?

He did it with Sami to good effect (although I don't think Garrison is an actual upgrade) and given a better team performance Garrison might have looked even better last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is could we have gone for a grittier tougher 3rd and 4th line with a bit more skill to compensate for our lack of top 6 push back.

Why would he plan for a new CBA with a dropping cap nearer the end of the 2012 season when he didn't even know it was coming yet? If he knew that he might have taken any half decent option at all for Luongo if he had that kind of future predicting powers. If wishes were ponies.

As it turned out, he didn't have a crystal ball and we didn't have room for a major acquisition this summer. Instead we're dealing with a new CBA now just like every other team.

So who should we get then? You have presented the problem, now how about the solution. Everyone thinks it's so easy, and they point to other GM's making moves so we need to as well. But who says that the moves other GM's make will work either? It's all speculation till we hit the mat. Change for the sake of change is pointless. Change with a particular goal in mind and a SOLUTION on how to get there is worthwhile. So...suggestions?

GMMG has consistently said that he is not going to make any quick judgments and rash moves ie. trading Booth, Burrows, Higgins, Lappy, Hansen etc as you have suggested. I, for one, am happy that he is taking this kind of approach. Sure, not all his moves have panned out, but neither do other GM's moves. How did Iggy and Morrow work out for the Penguins? People can slam MG all they want, but he is a much better GM than the Vancouver/bandwagon fans make him out to be.

Grabner and first rounder - D man with no return but paying Ballard's cap until the contract ends

Coho (top 50 NHL sniper) - fourth line project

Schneider (top 10-20 NHL goalie) - project

I could keep digging but he undermined the assets with a shortsighted belief the .org's strategies were superior.

GMMG has consistently said that he is not going to make any quick judgments and rash moves ie. trading Booth, Burrows, Higgins, Lappy, Hansen etc as you have suggested. I, for one, am happy that he is taking this kind of approach. Sure, not all his moves have panned out, but neither do other GM's moves. How did Iggy and Morrow work out for the Penguins? People can slam MG all they want, but he is a much better GM than the Vancouver/bandwagon fans make him out to be.

ehhh so trading away Schneider for a 9th overall pick without confirming that Luongo is willing to play for you next season is not a quick and rash move? Not to mention 2-3 teams would have traded more than a 9th overall pick for Schneider.

No idea why people like you defend our GM with so much benefit of the doubt.

This team was built for a 2011 run. Gonna take some re-tooling to make another decent go at it.

Higgins contract is a concern, but not a huge one at $2mil.

Burrows at $4mil is also a concern.

The defense is good, but looks a bit expensive. We say they're on bargain rates, but a lot of decent guys around the league are currently being signed for more affordable prices.

If the Sedins leave as UFA's next summer, that would be a fairly significant shakeup.

For the time being we're being sold on the coaching change being a big help. We'll see.

Archived