The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Gillis settle this team too much?

Bodee

This team was built for a 2011 run. Gonna take some re-tooling to make another decent go at it.

Higgins contract is a concern, but not a huge one at $2mil.

Burrows at $4mil is also a concern.

The defense is good, but looks a bit expensive. We say they're on bargain rates, but a lot of decent guys around the league are currently being signed for more affordable prices.

If the Sedins leave as UFA's next summer, that would be a fairly significant shakeup.

For the time being we're being sold on the coaching change being a big help. We'll see.

how about we fix the top six instead?

do you honestly think joe thornton (or whoever) is going to stop embarrassing and pushing around the sedins because he is afraid of a torres-like player coming on the ice two minutes later?

no

we need to fix our weak top six, not our bottom six

Grabner and first rounder - D man with no return but paying Ballard's cap until the contract ends

I don't think we're paying Ballard's contact....

Coho (top 50 NHL sniper) - fourth line project

Coho is not a top 50 NHL sniper. And Kassian is not a fourth liner.

Schneider (top 10-20 NHL goalie) - project

It was a top 10 pick in a very deep draft.

Kassian is our big gritty top line sniper, torts will actually give him a shot in top 6 And help him succeed.. Hansen is a beauty and should not be traded.. Booth was hurt and couldn't be traded/ bought out.. He's gotta perform this year and become a 25 goal 60 pt player again.

It is but last year on this team garrison also showed that he is quite good defensively as well he will put up points. So given that he brings all of the things Salo brought to the table plus being younger and healthier are most certainly worth a higher salary.

Last season with both of them going to new teams Garry matched him in points (more or less) and quadrupled Salo in goals. Before the Tampa sucks argument is made people should note that Tampa scored 21 more goals than the canucks last year.

Kassian is our big gritty top line sniper, torts will actually give him a shot in top 6 And help him succeed.. Hansen is a beauty and should not be traded.. Booth was hurt and couldn't be traded/ bought out.. He's gotta perform this year and become a 25 goal 60 pt player again.

It occurs to me that if Gillis was unable to get the big gritty sniper for the top line OR the big dominant stay at home D then maybe he should have looked to get better and stronger further down the line instead of handing out NTC's

My point is could we have parted with Higgins, Hansen, Lappiere, Booth and maybe even Burrows sooner at the end of the 2012 season?

Other teams seem to have no bother in changing faces to affect some momentum. Should we have been more flexible in our team building?

He did it with Sami to good effect (although I don't think Garrison is an actual upgrade) and given a better team performance Garrison might have looked even better last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is could we have gone for a grittier tougher 3rd and 4th line with a bit more skill to compensate for our lack of top 6 push back.

Why do all these thread all sound like:

"Whaaah! Gillis isn't perfect and can't see the future!"

"Ignore all the good things he's done!"

"All the things that didn't work out are way worse than they actually are!"

"Why can't Gillis do a bunch of unrealistic stuff?!"

"I deal only in absolutes! There are no grey areas!"

:rolleyes:

Why do all these thread all sound like:

"Whaaah! Gillis isn't perfect and can't see the future!"

"Ignore all the good things he's done!"

"All the things that didn't work out are way worse than they actually are!"

"Why can't Gillis do a bunch of unrealistic stuff?!"

"I deal only in absolutes! There are no grey areas!"

:rolleyes:

I don't think Gillis has been that bad a GM. I think his best move was bringing in Kassian. That's a move that will look so good in a couple of years. Letting Salo go was a mistake though. His re-signing of players has been good. Signing them to below market contracts.

And I bet it never rains outside your house. Grow up man and smell the coffee...........you're no more than a Gillis apologist.

Sure he does some good things............but so does almost every GM.

He took a SC finalist game 7 team and ran it into the ground. If he does not pull this Club round this season, there won't be enough excuses in the english language to save his ass next year.

Every difficult scenario was self created.

Most GM's are not gifted a team of elite players, an ace coach and then fail them so miserably.

I have never said it is all "black" but it has been pretty much black since the 2010-11 playoffs and I am not alone in thinking that.

Isn't it funny how all these Gillis excuses MORE THAN apply to AV and yet he was quite prepared to sacrifice the best coach we have ever had here to save his skin.

Any reason for getting rid of AV more than applied to Gillis .............and that is the irony.

Archived