The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ilya Kovalchuk Retires From NHL

Djeez how can you retire when you just signed this long term contract?

It just goes to show the term and conditions of the original contract were all about circumvent the CBA!

No Respect for Kovalchuk anymore. No heart, no soul.

He won't be missed

I don't know why everyone is knocking Kovalchuk here. I think with the Devils' financial woes, combined with his montrous and unmoveable contract, Kovalchuk just did what was best for everyone.

Devils were on the hook for over 11 million per year for a few more years. That's a bad contract to have on the books while under so much financial scrutiny.

Meanwhile, Kovy will probably get OVER 11 million in the KHL. So with the tax savings, he'll basically be bringing home double. Then he's with family and old friends, and pretty much comes out looking like a National hero. So who can blame him?

...So...rhetorical question...I wonder what Capitals' management is thinking of this?

Djeez how can you retire when you just signed this long term contract?

It just goes to show the term and conditions of the original contract were all about circumvent the CBA!

No Respect for Kovalchuk anymore. No heart, no soul.

He won't be missed

i wonder if this has anything to do with the devils financial situation before people start jumping to conclusions about him being a typical russian maybe you should do some research and realize the devils are cash strapped right now he could be forced into doing this

Walks away from 100 million... Like a Boss

After their cup run, their team has fallen apart a little bit and not gotten better at all.

He doesn't want to suck, he doesn't want to rebuild, and his contract cripples the team financially, most likely why.

Shame the NHL loses a top talent

i wonder if this has anything to do with the devils financial situation before people start jumping to conclusions about him being a typical russian maybe you should do some research and realize the devils are cash strapped right now he could be forced into doing this

not as bad as I first suspected.... 250k over the remainder of the timeframe isn't too bad for the salary cap. And yeah, I figure he was forced to do this move. Still really hurts the franchise though, wonder how long this was in the works for....

Archived