The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel (Bure/Datsyuk) Inspired Montage

Dw182

Hey guys! Me and a friend have recently set up a brand new youtube channel that's geared toward highlighting Pavel-inspired dekes, tricks, and overall just fun hockey plays that feature myself and my much less attractive friend. Would love to hear any suggestions, comments, questions, or anything of the sort!

We are trying to be completely innovative both on the ice as well as giving original content. 3 cameras are used in this shoot (one GoPro on the goalies head!) and we're always looking for new and fun ways to incorporate our audience. Hope you like what we've put out so far :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFIRTp-1qGk

A little bit about myself! I happen to be the goalie in the video who get my jock hung up in the rafters on numerous occasions. I have junior experience, but due to a torn ACL I'm restricted to playing in beer leagues and REC leagues around Vancouver. My favorite goalies to watch are Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick and of course, Schnieds (... :( ) Here's a picture of me and someone you may know!

541973_10151047694336193_594466647_n.jpg

Hey DW,

Cool vid! You're probably just the guy to ask this then. I have played RW/D all my life (Like you, good level experience) and I have always wanted to become a goalie, now that the dream's over...I think I wanna play lower tier beer league and as I progressively get a little bit better, move my way up and just ring for teams who need a goalie.

I am just curious about a good entry level/intermediate pad, something that won't break the bank and is obviously a butterfly pad with a good knee cradle. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the team! ;) It definitely depends what you were looking into - if you were looking to just learn, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. A LOT of pads get completely marked down on craigslist just based on the fact that they're older versions (i.e. I'm sporting Vaugn V3's in my video, and when I got them about 5 years ago they were $1600 - you can now get them for probably around $400). I've ALWAYS been a fan of Vaughn, so I'm a bit biased in that regard. I've always supported Vaughn as the leading brand for butterfly goalies, so if you don't mind buying used (or spending a bit extra, just make sure you stick to the Velocity series as opposed to the Ventus or Vision) then I'd highly recommend it!

If you're looking for brand new pads at an entry level, I really like what Brian, Warrior, and CCM are doing in terms of pad design and price range. They all offer butterfly style pads with numerous breaks along the face of the pad while catering to a closed five-hole design. They range from between 400-700 new. The CCM Extreme Flex 400 and the Brian 'M' Series would be my go-to. A bit of the stiff side, but a solid pad nonetheless. I would also 100% recommend making the trip to the Surrey Source for Sports Hockey Shop for any of your goalie needs and questions; they have excellent staff in regards to goalie knowledge and a wide range of products (although they tend to offer more of the higher priced items).

If you need any help, feel free to shoot me a PM :)

Thanks man, I'm moving back to the Island in a couple weeks and where i'm going there is a great used sports store, last time I was in there they had a room filled with used goalie pads. Only problem is I probably need to get properly measured to figure out what length I would need. Is there any way I can just put the pad up to my leg with a slightly bent knee and just say 'Oh ya, those are good enough'?

I actually still have a bag full of old goalie gear that I bought for somebody to play goalie when we rented the ice years ago but the pads are crappy itech x-factor's so I would upgrade, I just need pads, skates and a stick. I have old school Vaughn Velocity chest pads (They are pretty small compared to what is on the market now, probably circa 1999-2000) So hopefully those would suffice haha.

I have an older helmet too, but its white and the paint is chipping, any recommendations for what type of spray paint? I just wanna give it the Jonas Hiller and paint it matte black, can you just use any type of spray paint? (Random Question!)

Thanks man, I'm moving back to the Island in a couple weeks and where i'm going there is a great used sports store, last time I was in there they had a room filled with used goalie pads. Only problem is I probably need to get properly measured to figure out what length I would need. Is there any way I can just put the pad up to my leg with a slightly bent knee and just say 'Oh ya, those are good enough'?

I actually still have a bag full of old goalie gear that I bought for somebody to play goalie when we rented the ice years ago but the pads are crappy itech x-factor's so I would upgrade, I just need pads, skates and a stick. I have old school Vaughn Velocity chest pads (They are pretty small compared to what is on the market now, probably circa 1999-2000) So hopefully those would suffice haha.

I have an older helmet too, but its white and the paint is chipping, any recommendations for what type of spray paint? I just wanna give it the Jonas Hiller and paint it matte black, can you just use any type of spray paint? (Random Question!)

Absolutely! Goalie skates tend to be quite low to the ice surface compared to player skates, so you can usually size up what size you need in store without going on the ice. How tall are you? As long as your knee-cap sits maybe just a TAD bit lower than the middle of the cradle, you should be okay. The + in size measurements don't really factor into your size too much in comparison to the overall length of the pad (i.e. 34+2), so don't worry too much about that. Also, when it comes to spray paint, I wouldn't recommend it as it actually is a more of a safety issue. I wouldn't have much of an idea, but you could try going to a local hardware store and asking someone who knows the material more than I do - but as I said, I've heard that it's not something to be recommended.

Also, nice comment on the Kane! In our video comments, we actually mention what moves are being used that bring about the inspiration at exactly the right time for anyone wanting to emulate their favorite players :) (i.e. 0:07 is the Kane, not really but you get what I mean!)

Archived