The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Penner Not Re-Signing in LA

I wonder if all the remaining 'big' UFAs - Raymond, Penner, Grabovski, Jagr, Brunner, Morrow, etc. - are going to have to take 1-year contracts if they wanna be on a contender. Not much cap space floating around.

I'm not sure if Penner is the perfect fit here, but I hope Gillis finds someone, somehow who can potentially pot 20 goals.

The thing is Penner does have 2 cup rings, plus last year's little run under his belt. Also 13G/35P in 78 playoff games. I see him as a little redundant if Booth is healthy, but he wouldn't be the worst pick up. Putting Schroeder with 2 big wingers might actually be a good idea.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian/Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows/Hansen

Penner - Schroeder - Booth

______ - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito

If he's asking 2.5-3, which is actually reasonable most years, he won't fit. If he takes a 1-year/1.75-2 because of the crappy cap situation, then you never know.

Hope Gillis/Gilman have some tricks in their sleeve!

Penner could play some with the twins, and some with Kesler, and some on the 3rd line, and cause chaos in front of the net on the pp. He'd be far too busy to be lazy, and Torts would just have to keep him going. Gillis knows there will be some bargains and some teams looking to make trades as the summer moves along, never know what might happen. I don't care what anyone thinks, Penner could be a good addition, but it's a long shot at best.

Archived