The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyout/Kovalchuk Retiring Same Thing?

DhillonCanuck

They could do this and not waste a buyout, but tell me one player who will agree to do that instead of accepting a buyout.

With a buyout, a player will still get 2/3 of their salary (1/3 for young players). If they retire, they can't play for a new team and they won't get paid. Also, playing with a new team, you get yet ANOTHER cheque.

Would you rather have 2 gigantic cheques each pay day, or stop receiving money altogether?

No. There's a difference between buying out a player so he can play again somewhere else and having a player retire so he doesn't play in the NHL again.

and Kovalchuk's retiring still hits NJD's salary cap, even though they're not paying him.

And they lose a 1st for their stupid contract.

NJ's screwed royally right now. They should just buy him out.

The contract is essentially voided now that he's retired. There is a period though, not sure how long, that he can't come back to play in the NHL if he decides to unretire. From what I understand all 30 NHL teams would have to approve him unretiring to allow him to play again after the required period.

My reading is that it's 3yrs and yeah, it would require approval from all 30 owners.

However, he's still bound to Vancouver for the length of his original contract. Whether or not they could trade his rights ... that I'm not quite sure of, but whatever he contract he signed would be subject to approval of the league. What do you think his chances are there?

I think the fact that is whole subject is such a grey area can at least answer the question of what Luongo was talking to his agent about the past couple of weeks in regards to 'his options'.

Archived