The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bergeron gets 8 year extension

Berg is worth it for sure.

They're going to need to start making some trades to shed salary though. No major signings to make next year but if they don't do something creative they're going to be looking at a very different D next season.

Now I look at Kesler and laugh at his minor cap hit. All of these GM's are signing these players like this knowing the cap will go up.

But seriously, Rask at that price? Bergeron (who I love) isn't worth more than $5.5 with his injury issues and point totals.

Cap increase or not this has and will handcuff teams and the less than Canucks do the better.

I wonder how Rask will fair once Chara starts that serious decline or retires (a decline seriously happening) or if the trap system fails due to defensemen not being able to take their assignments (which is also happening)Will his contract look that good outside of a trapping system?

The Bruins are overextending their team and killing that depth much like Pittsburgh just did.

The less Gillis does, the better this team will be

Bergeron was their best player in the SCFs. He is clearly past the concussion issues he had years ago. He will be their captain when Chara leaves; probably retire a Bruin. I don't like these long contracts (+5) but there's nothing about a NTC here.

I'd take Bergy over Kes anyday.

This signing is not 'Holmgren like'.

The last four years he has played 73, 80, 81 and 42 games. And has been great in the playoffs. He really doesn't have any more injury concerns as anyone else. He is a vital piece to their team. It is a pretty good signing (relative to the general stupidity of most NHL contracts)

So what if he gets injured? They'll just put him on long term injured reserve and free his cap space. The bruins don't mind paying his salary even if he's not playing. it's insured and they have the money anyway. The only issue is the cap, and ltir fixes that

Archived