The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

8 Ships In Need Of Captains

Ottawa - Spezza...just seems like the right guy, he's a respected vet on the team as well as a star player.

Dallas - Benn, they want to build around him, obvious choice.

Tampa Bay - Stamkos, St. Louis is too old.

Columbus - Johnson or Dubinsky, I'll go with Johnson.

Edmonton - Hall...no, not Eberle.

New York - Tavares, who else?

Buffalo - Vanek, if they go with one captain instead of a rotating captaincy.

Calgary - Giordano, best choice available.

Ottawa - Spezza

Phillips is an option, but he doesn't have many years left and Spezza is ready for the 'C'.

Dallas - Whitney

Whitney can serve as captain until he finally hangs up the skates, and then it can be Benn's turn.

Tampa Bay - St. Louis

This is a similar situation to Ottawa's, except that Spezza is more ready for captaincy than Stamkos is, thus I'd say St. Louis ought to take the 'C' until he retires and by that time, Stammer will be ready.

Columbus - Johnson

This one is a tough one. I picked Johnson, but Tyutin and Dubinsky could also be in the hunt for the 'C'. Gaborik is also an option.

Edmonton - Hall

I expected Eberle to be the Oilers' best player last year. He wasn't. Hall ended up being the guy who lead the team, and thus I feel like he may be the better option.

New York - Tavares

This one is a pretty obvious option. While Tavares is still really young, he has taken control of the Islanders and in light of the lack of any better leader, he'll likely have a 'C' sewn on his jersey soon.

Buffalo - Vanek

Europeans aren't as often captains as North Americans, but Vanek is clearly the best choice. He's experienced and has been a Sabre for many years now.

Calgary - Cammalleri

Cammalleri is the best option of not many good options. I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary go without a captain next year.

Archived