The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aaron Rome should have been re signed/Tribute thread

Kim Jong-Trill

Still think Horton needed to stop admiring his pass and keep his head up. Nothing wrong with that hit at all other than a split second late at worst. Full body contact rather than a target to the head.

Rome got punished based on Boston's incessant whining behind the scenes.

Although I agree Horton shouldn't have been admiring his pass, there was a lot wrong with that hit. The puck wasn't just off Hortons stick, it was in control of the other Bruin before Rome even moved towards him. The hit is tough to justify in any way. If the exact same hit was thrown on a Canuck most here would be calling for a lifelong ban from hockey for intent to injure.

As far as I recall, Rome hit Horton .5 seconds after Horton passed the puck

Also, it was Horton who was moving towards Rome, not the other way.

Did you even watch that game? The call was the most corrupted call in recent history of NHL especially when u compare to the Raymond hit

So you think that hit was so egregious that it was worth the suspension he got for it?

It was a late hit but not by enough of a margin to make it as bad as it ended up getting punished for. Not even close. Just like how it was more of a full body hit rather than a target of the head. He didn't even leave his skates until the follow through on the hit, which is legal.

The fact is it was not worth more than a penalty at most. The fact that it was a hard hit and Horton got hurt should be irrelevant, just like it should have been irrelevant when Torres hit Hossa. That was a similar type of hit if you ask me.

Aaron Rome cost us the cup just the same as Raffi Torres almost cost us the Chicago series with late, high, undisciplined hits. BOTH hits woke the other team up at the most inopportune time for Vancouver. We were lucky to recover and win the Chicago series, but as we all know, we got hammered in the rest of the Boston series and lost in 7 games. Really wasn't that close in 3 out of the last 4 games as we got shelled in the 2 games in Boston and in the final game here at home after that hit. Personally I'm glad that BOTH Rome and Torres are gone. Good riddance if you ask me. Timely hits can have a devastating effect on the other team (ala the well timed Willie Mitchell hit on Toews a few years ago as the Canucks cruised to victory in that game after that hit if memory serves me right) but ill timed, late hits, (especially when there is an injury to the player ala Horton and Seabrook) can have a VERY negative effect (against the team delivering the hit, i.e. the Canucks) and serve to wake a team up that otherwise might just be there for the taking. Before the hit, the Canucks had Boston on the ropes using their, skill, speed, and discipline. After the hit Boston simply started playing a game that as we all know the Canucks had no answer for. Can't help but think how different that series would have been without Rome and his STUPID hit on Horton.

Rome's hit on Horton was LATE and ill timed. It even looked late in real time let alone slowed down. (even worse then obviously) It WASN'T a play that was born out of good defence or good solid hockey. It was a play (hit) that occurred because Rome overcommitted to laying the body on Horton and standing him up at the blue line, (one track mind) instead of realizing that Horton could very well pass off, go around Rome, and receive a return pass (give and go) once he saw Rome heading towards him. Once Rome realized what was happening, (obviously too late) he had two choices. Look like the goat he was and possibly give Horton a semi breakaway by not hitting him, or "take him out" as he did and run the risk of a penalty or worse. Players aren't stupid. Especially the elite ones. Horton and just about everybody on Boston (and most likely Vancouver for that matter) knew that Rome's hit on Horton was an attempt by Rome to save his ass when he overcommitted. At the very least it was interference, and the very most it was blatant, stupid, late, and chicken crap. He got what he deserved with the suspension and AV got what he deserved for playing the bozo in the first place. No cup. :(

Rome stood up at the blueline - Horton had his head down and got belted with a clean hit. Rome was already commited to the hit when Horton was passing it. You see way later hits than that in every game - only no injury.

The NHL started suspending players for clean hits that result in injury at that moment. Look at Torres x2, Gryba, etc. The NHL doesn't give 2 craps about player safety, they just care about looking bad in public.

Rome's hit on Horton was LATE and ill timed. It even looked late in real time let alone slowed down. (even worse then obviously) It WASN'T a play that was born out of good defence or good solid hockey. It was a play (hit) that occurred because Rome overcommitted to laying the body on Horton and standing him up at the blue line, (one track mind) instead of realizing that Horton could very well pass off, go around Rome, and receive a return pass (give and go) once he saw Rome heading towards him. Once Rome realized what was happening, (obviously too late) he had two choices. Look like the goat he was and possibly give Horton a semi breakaway by not hitting him, or "take him out" as he did and run the risk of a penalty or worse. Players aren't stupid. Especially the elite ones. Horton and just about everybody on Boston (and most likely Vancouver for that matter) knew that Rome's hit on Horton was an attempt by Rome to save his ass when he overcommitted. At the very least it was interference, and the very most it was blatant, stupid, late, and chicken crap. He got what he deserved with the suspension and AV got what he deserved for playing the bozo in the first place. No cup. :(

the rome hit was worth the lengthy ban in my opinion on Rome. very dirty. just because one play gets called and another one gets missed (raymond's hit), doesn't mean the length of the ban in the first one magically should be shorter, just because of a missed call later

So you think that hit was so egregious that it was worth the suspension he got for it?

It was a late hit but not by enough of a margin to make it as bad as it ended up getting punished for. Not even close. Just like how it was more of a full body hit rather than a target of the head. He didn't even leave his skates until the follow through on the hit, which is legal.

The fact is it was not worth more than a penalty at most. The fact that it was a hard hit and Horton got hurt should be irrelevant, just like it should have been irrelevant when Torres hit Hossa. That was a similar type of hit if you ask me.

says the guy with a -52 reputation... I don't even know where to begin if you think that late hit worth 4 games in a SCF when the Raymond hit didn't even get a penalty call.

you know what the saddest part is? I don't even like Rome that much. But the illogical thinking some cdcer present is really starting to annoy me

Archived