The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aaron Rome should have been re signed/Tribute thread

Kim Jong-Trill

Wasn't Torres suspended for 27 games for a hit on hossa last year?

Looks eerily similar.

I think it was a fair suspension, Horton didn't play the rest of the series...if you've ever seen hard head shots, when a guy's arm is stiff while he's lying on the ground, that means that he received tremendous nervous trauma. Horton was jacked up, a tit-for-tat, was not "unprecedented" in my mind. Guy is out for the series, so was rome. I'm ok with that.

As for Raymond. That was not a penalty. He was out muscled into the boards, and it is not boychucks responsibility to make sure that raymond can protect himself before hitting him (unless he sees his numbers). The entire play happened so fast, boychuck was trying to pin raymond and it was unfortunate. Had that been a stronger player i.e. Kesler/Burrows/Torres...the same play would have not happened.

Glad to have both guys off the team. I'm looking forward to next year!

I think it was a fair suspension, Horton didn't play the rest of the series...if you've ever seen hard head shots, when a guy's arm is stiff while he's lying on the ground, that means that he received tremendous nervous trauma.  Horton was jacked up, a tit-for-tat, was not "unprecedented" in my mind.  Guy is out for the series, so was rome.  I'm ok with that.

Guest Pinchin

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it was NOT a head shot. Even Mike Murphy said as much.

Not saying it was a headshot...but suspending him for the length of Horton's absence is fair. Especially as Horton's absence was caused by an infringement of the rules i.e. interference. I'm just looking at things from the other side..horton was a second line player that year for Boston - if someone did the same thing to kesler/higgins, I would expect the same.

It's a shoulder on shoulder platter with a side of head, plain and simple, to say there was no contact with the head is to defy reality.  I don't care who said it wasn't a head shot, there was conatct to the head.  If you want to call it shoulder on shoulder then fine, I want those hits (not that late) left in thegame but Heyzeus el Christo Almighty, put some frickin glasses on, he contacted the head.

I love Rome.

I think it was a fair suspension, Horton didn't play the rest of the series...if you've ever seen hard head shots, when a guy's arm is stiff while he's lying on the ground, that means that he received tremendous nervous trauma. Horton was jacked up, a tit-for-tat, was not "unprecedented" in my mind. Guy is out for the series, so was rome. I'm ok with that.

As for Raymond. That was not a penalty. He was out muscled into the boards, and it is not boychucks responsibility to make sure that raymond can protect himself before hitting him (unless he sees his numbers). The entire play happened so fast, boychuck was trying to pin raymond and it was unfortunate. Had that been a stronger player i.e. Kesler/Burrows/Torres...the same play would have not happened.

WOW are you even aware how much you contradict your own argument here?

1) raymond was put out of the series and missed more of the next season than hortan did

2) hortan played the puck, raymond never even touches it,

3) boychuck ingages raymond just out side the goal crease and physically folds him into a vulnerable and awkward position all the way to the corner wall where he uses enough force to break his back a good 15 feet from the inital point of contact i would call that boarding, roughing, interferance, take your pick

4) boychuck has no reponsiblity to make sure raymond can protect himself yet rome has no such luxury?

5) if hortan was not hurt rome gets 2 min MAX, if raymond wasn't hurt there was still a penalty on the play but none was called, do you see the double standard? The injury just makes it even more blatantly bias

The problem is there was actually no intent regarding Raymond. Raymond tried to skate in front of Boychuk to get puck postion. He literally skated himself onto Boychuks stick and wound up with it between his legs which is what caused him to spin around and lose balance. Their momentum carried them into the boards. Boychuk didn't drive him there as he was coasting the entire time. Rome on the other hand chose to throw a hit knowing Horton was no longer in possession of the puck. There's a big difference between the two plays. Rome's was a penalty without a doubt. Raymond's on the other hand was a freak accident that he initiated himself.

The hit was late....but that was about it.

Not worthy of suspension, but they gave one out anyway because Horton was hurt.

Which reminds me....when Raymond was injured was there a Boston player suspended?

I wonder how much money the refs got under the table for that series.

FFs baggin, boychuk was skating at the opposite direction from the puck when he hit and shoved Raymond into the board. Yet you make it sound like it was Raymond s fault that boychuk slammed him into the board.

Yet rome's half a second late hit was a fully calculated dirty hit that was intend to injure Horton

Are we even watching the same video? Or do I need to screen capture the video and show you boychuk's movement?

Boychuk also had a fully two seconds to react and stop his so call momentum before Raymond hits the board. Instead he took his time and make sure Raymond hit the board with an awkward position.

Two full seconds? What are you watching?? Or perhaps you're counting while the clip is in slow motion. The whole event happened in a second or less. Pretty much the blind of an eye.

I don't tend to watch through those rosie homer glasses so many like to wear here. The puck was shot into the corner. Both were heading for the puck with Raymond starting out behind Boychuk. Raymond was attempting to cut in front of Boychuk. The puck went between their legs. Boychuk didn't even see Raymond until he straddled his stick. There was no calculating on Boychuks part. Boychuk never actually "hit" Raymond. They tangled (due to Boychuks stick between Raymonds legs) and their momentum carried them into the boards.

Rome on the other hand literally watched Horton pass the puck away. Then had to move laterally, knowing the puck was already gone, to deliver the hit. Rome's was his own decision, while Boychuks was incidental to the circumstances created by Raymond. Had Rome been moving toward Horton prior to the puck being passed I'd view it differently. As it was done you can't defend it. Raymonds I see as one of those plays you see all the time but this one went horribly wrong.

more proof that you aren't even watching the same clip as i was. Do me a favor and watch it again. Boychuk started the contact with Raymond at the 4 second mark and Raymond was slammed into the board a little before the 6 second mark.

Honestly i see no point to go on a further discussion on this when you can't even count right

I'd say you just proved you're seeing what you want to and exaggerating. At some point in the 4th second contact begins and at 5 seconds (before the 6 second mark in your own words) contact with the boards happens. Meaning it has to be less than 2 seconds. And now take that small amount of time and calculate from the time Raymond wound up in an awkward position and there is really little time for any reaction with their momentum carrying them towards the boards.

Simple math: 5 is less than 6 and 5 - 4 = 1. [/counting lesson]

lol then the debate is over. Even with video evidence in front of you, you choose to ignore it and still claim the impact happens 1 second.

Rome hitted Horton .7 seconds AFTER the puck left him, and you deem that a dirty move and that he deserves the suspension. Then Boychuk had at least twice the amount of time AFTER the initial contact to adjust his movements to avoid the hit, and you deem that Raymond's fault for skating in front of Boychuk in his own zone after the puck bounce off the wall.

for that I am done. You are spinning the incident like a lawyer, change words and twist what actually happened even if people provide you video evidences.

also, dont try to chalnge the direction by using the exact seconds. . It doesn't change the fact that boychuk had twice the amount of time AFTER the initial contact to change his action.

the spin you took on Rome's hit is borderline disgusting tbh.

Archived