The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The offer Colorado could have taken from Calgary.

Which would you have.  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since this draft class is being compared to that of the 2003 draft, why don't we try and use that as a comparison. I took the best player in the 1st round between picks 1 and 5 and compared him to 3 picks, one being between picks 6-30, 22-30, and 28-30. If you don't understand what I mean by that is I took the best player available at each pick that hadn't already been picked by that pick number.

I came up with Eric Staal for Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler and Corey Perry. Two wingers and a center, just like Calgary's picks, interesting huh? In no way am I comparing Calgary's picks to Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry but you gotta think, if Colorado wants to win in the future they would of taken that trade cause even though Eric Staal is a great player and a franchise player, he is not better then Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler.

Just adding a different perspective to the topic ;)

Lets look at this from another perspective.

Could Crosby alone win a cup?

Or could Crosby Malkin and Staal win you a cup?

There is no comparison in regards to the talent so don't jump on that but I do need to point out that you need a team, not a player.

Gretzky won how many cups after leaving the promised land of talent in Edmonton?

1 world class player for the first line, or potentially 1 world class 1st liner or top 2, 1 world class 2nd liner and 1 world class 3rd liner.

It takes a team and at this point in time it is incredibly early to be making these comparisons as at the NHL level Mackinnon might turn into Stefan or Lawton or Daigle while Calgary now has a 1 in 3 shot at least of having drafted a seriously talented 1st line player.

I like 1 in 3 myself especially when I think of a phenom like Stojanov who netted us a Naslund after a bare season and a half when Pitts took him as a reclamation project.

So yes while MAckinnon would have been nice consider this. Would you, with our prospect pool have traded (hypothetical people) Schneider to Columbus or Calgary for those 3 firsts or Colorado for 1?

Let's revisit this thread in three years shall we?

Archived