The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whitey Bulger witnessed Bruins' cup win in Vancouver

Alleged crime boss James “Whitey” Bulger was in attendance when the Boston Bruins claimed the Stanley Cup over the Vancouver Canucks in the 2011 NHL Playoffs, according to a Boston news website.

An article on TheBostonLiberal.com attributes the information to a source in the FBI, which reportedly tailed Bulger for weeks before arresting him.

It goes on to claim that Bulger, now 83, drove from California to British Columbia, crossing the border without any problems despite spending more than a decade on the FBI’s top ten most wanted fugitives list.

He is charged with playing a role in 19 murders, but fled in late 1994 after a former FBI agent. tipped him off that he was about to be indicted.

He remained a fugitive for more than 16 years before finally being captured in Santa Monica in 2011 – one week after reportedly witnessing the Bruins hoist the cup in Rogers Arena.

Inside Bulger's residence, FBI agents said they found $800,000 in cash, several pieces of false identification and more than 30 firearms.

Bulger, an inspiration for the 2006 Martin Scorsese film, "The Departed," headed the Winter Hill Gang, a largely Irish gang that ran loan-sharking, gambling and drug rackets.

His trial began in June 2013 in Boston.

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and lay this cool story on them and tell them "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and lay this cool story on them and tell them "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."

No need to be a dick about it. I for one am quite interested with this as I've been following his trial. He's one of the most high profile crime bosses after Al Capone. It may not mean anything to you but to people who know who he actually is and how much of a crime figure he was in history will be interested in this. He managed to cross the border TWICE being on the FBI's top 10 most wanted list and buy tickets, attend game 7... I think that's a pretty damn good story..

No need to be a dick about it. I for one am quite interested with this as I've been following his trial. He's one of the most high profile crime bosses after Al Capone. It may not mean anything to you but to people who know who he actually is and how much of a crime figure he was in history will be interested in this. He managed to cross the border TWICE being on the FBI's top 10 most wanted list and buy tickets, attend game 7... I think that's a pretty damn good story..

Archived