The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scottish Independence.

Bodee

Dogbyte, It wouldn't hurt us at all.

Scots are inherently ambitious and hard working, however and only partly due to the Union they have had to travel all over the World (and to England) to get on.

Scots pop up in every great nation there has ever been.........even Russia (and certainly Canada) and have excelled in inspiring that country.

All we are asking is the ability to do the same in our own land. The ability to raise and spend our own money and utilise our own resources to make something of this country.

It is no accident that many of our most famous countrymen had to go abroad to become recognised or renowned.

Even this list is incomplete and doesn't count Scottish descent.

http://en.wikipedia....i/List_of_Scots

I have a few questions...

1) since Scotland belongs (till now) to United Kingdon the country has a shared and wide air-force/navy/army just like it was in Soviet Union. If the country becomes independent Scots must have their own defense system and I´m not sure if England will cooperate sending funds/resources to the new intedendent country. OR Scots must find another supplier (Russia?)

2) as an independent country Scotland will belong to Eurozone automatically or not?

3) what´s gonna happen with the border? people from England will need some documents to travel to/from Scotland? and what about people from other countries?

Once the Queen dies, I see a lot of abandoning the commonwealth. The soon to be King Charles is hardly a great ambassador. Most polls state, that outside of his new wife, he is the least popular of the Royal Family. His sons and daughter in law, are far more liked by the public, than him.

I just don't see Canada putting his face on all our money, and having our military anthem be "God Save the King".

I have a few questions...

1) since Scotland belongs (till now) to United Kingdon the country has a shared and wide air-force/navy/army just like it was in Soviet Union. If the country becomes independent Scots must have their own defense system and I´m not sure if England will cooperate sending funds/resources to the new intedendent country. OR Scots must find another supplier (Russia?)

2) as an independent country Scotland will belong to Eurozone automatically or not?

3) what´s gonna happen with the border? people from England will need some documents to travel to/from Scotland? and what about people from other countries?

My question would be, Is it just a question of semantics? Would separation actually further the Scots or would it actually cost more and be a disadvantage in other ways that people don't see?

It's kinda funny because, like op said, the whole island is 600 miles long but there are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of different groups of people that define themselves in any number of ways and group together. There's people over there that never really leave their block, and maybe across the street are sworn generational enemies with your family so theres always tension. I don't know, it's so complex.

I think it would be smarter for the Scots leave things the way the are and work on building bridges instead of putting up barriers. I could also understand reasons for wanting to control their own destiny.

My question would be, Is it just a question of semantics? Would separation actually further the Scots or would it actually cost more and be a disadvantage in other ways that people don't see?

It's kinda funny because, like op said, the whole island is 600 miles long but there are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of different groups of people that define themselves in any number of ways and group together. There's people over there that never really leave their block, and maybe across the street are sworn generational enemies with your family so theres always tension. I don't know, it's so complex.

I think it would be smarter for the Scots leave things the way the are and work on building bridges instead of putting up barriers. I could also understand reasons for wanting to control their own destiny.

I'm sorry, have you ever been to the UK?...........or Scotland?

That description you have written, is bizarre to say the least.

I have lived in Scotland AND England and it is nothing like that. Yes you could go to the rougher parts of say Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Birmingham and you might see some trouble but that would make it no different from Amsterdam, Madrid, Rome, Marseille, Munich. Are you saying you have no crime in Canada, that everyone gets on with one another all the time?

England has a problem with the large number of muslim and black areas but for the most part they are fairly peaceful.

You also don't seem to understand that until the 18th Century, Scotland was a sovereign state, one of the oldest in the World.

Your analogy about building bridges is actually one of the sore points with the Scots as we have needed another Forth Bridge crossing for 20 years but have never had the money to build it..........Meanwhile England gets high speed rail links, motorways, Olympic Parks......you name it and apparently there is money to build it.

And you know how they justify all this development and expenditure in the South East of England..........because we are all one Union.

Well many Scots are sick of it and especially when you consider they are using oil revenue from Scottish Waters to finance much of it.

I have been over there several times and I do have ancestry on the Scottish and English sides but I am definitely no expert on the situation.

I do know that some of these issues go back hundreds of years. Haven't the Mcdonald and Campbell clans had an ongoing feud for 500 years or something like that?

Alls I was saying is that the island is an incredibly fractured microcosm, with rifts and conflict that go back centuries. To try and sort it all out and make sense of it is nearly impossible. The world has come a long way in the last 25 years, never mind the last 200. So, what would actually be better for the people of Scotland? To me, they don't lack an identity or presence in the world. They are definitely distinct, I mean, where else can you get a deep fried Snickers bar?

Does Scotland want to become part of the eu? I can't see why they would, maybe you have some pros there?

Does Scotland simply want to become independent? Do they have enough industry and economy to be self sufficient in today's globalized world? Ask the Republic of Ireland how that worked out for them.

Anyway, just asking some questions, not really taking a side here.

Archived