The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 4th Line RW if Weise is not re-signed.

I know it's a popular idea to sign a really big body for the 4th line W position.. However, I'm not sure if there's many players available in that regard whom would outplay Dale Weise... and the Canucks undoubtedly want to ice a better team. With the re-signing of Sestito and Lain as a call-up, perhaps the Canucks are satisfied with their big 4th liners.

In a different mold, here's 3 UFAs I think GMMG should consider signing to replace Weise on the 4th line, all of whom have potential to double Weise's offensive production and bring something to the team.

1. Chuck Kobasew - Vancouver born, spent the last two seasons in the Northwest division playing for the Avs. He had a 7 goal/14 points (pace for 20 points in 82 games) in 2011-2012 and 9 points (pace for 20 over 82 games) last year. He has wheels and could probably handle some PK time. He's previously been a 40+ point getter, so there's also offensive potential that he could regain if he needs to fill-in in the top 9 for injuries. A right-handed shot who is 6'1, 195 pounds.

2. Colby Armstrong - Pacing for 11 points last year and 8 the year before, CA's value is at all-time low. The fiesty winger has lost some of his edge, but he could end up being a money-ball signing who was previously the ultimate 3rd line winger. In 2009-2010 he paced for about 40 points. On a 1-year contract to prove himself he might be a steal. 6'2/185 pounds.

3. Chad Larose - JR kept this guy around for 7 seasons because of his versatility. As an undersized 4th liner he was quite effective, being physical and making the line an offensive threat. When injuries happened he sometimes found himself in the top-6. 2011-2012 he put up 32 points in 67 games. However, during his contract year he paced for only about 9 points. Wrong timing, but the right team could take advantage of this moneypuck signing. Not to mention his 11 points in 18 games during the Canes' 2008-2009 playoff run. At 5'10, 180 pounds he might not be quite big enough to be an effective 4th liner in the Northwest, but he's proven a lot of naysayers wrong previously.

Lots more I could say, but I won't ramble too much.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Jensen/UFA (ZHERDEVVVVV)

Burrows - Richardson - Hansen

Higgins - Santorelli - Kobasew/Armstrong/Larose

Sestito

If the line-up is spread out something like that, Torts' could potentially ice an offensive threat of a 4th line.. Thoughts?

You should put Smithson on that list, good faceoff, can kill PKs, big, uses the body.

But out of the 3 I would probably pick LaRose since he can play in the top 9 and 4th line.

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Burrows-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Gaunce-Jensen

Sestito-Smithson-LaRose

Weise/Kobasew

That looks pretty deadly.

You should put Smithson on that list, good faceoff, can kill PKs, big, uses the body.

But out of the 3 I would probably pick LaRose since he can play in the top 9 and 4th line.

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Burrows-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Gaunce-Jensen

Sestito-Smithson-LaRose

Weise/Kobasew

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Burrows-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Gaunce-Jensen

Sestito-Smithson-LaRose

Weise/Kobasew

LOL. Shelley.

The guy played 1 pro game last year. The year before that he played 30 and had 0 goals, 1 assist. The year before that he played 58 games and had 2 goals and 2 assists.

So the past three years combined he has had 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points in 89 games.

I would love for the Canucks to add a tough winger in the Shawn Thornton mold, but not in the goon (Shelley-like) mold.

while carrying a goon / fighter on the fourth ,you will sacrifice alot of points. unless you can find one that constantly fore checks hits. also you have to realize the "other" pros to having a fighter brings to a team. its a bonus to boston that shawn thornton can" play ",and is rewarded with more ice time. giving him more oportunities to score or make play and open up space. given the chance many goons out there can create space for scoring chances. or spend time in the attack zone beating up on the D.

. IMO the guys on the 4th have a certain "role" to either shut down , spark the team or just reek havoc. in general the 4th line doesnt get alot of ice time reguardless of whos is on it. i believe also the outcome of carrying a legit heavy, means less injuries for your hockey club . in result, is more goals . the guys mentioned above would be my third line. play rough and can chip in here and there.

my opinion ... i will always support carrying fighters.

so if jody shelley or PL3 (only free agent availible with that kinda rep) or any other goon can't bring that element to their team, then yeah pass on him. there are literally hundreds of fighters out there, where one steps out another one is waiting and willing to step right in. but sooner or later power forwards like looch will be common place on every team and everyone is happy.

so if jody shelley or PL3 (only free agent availible with that kinda rep) or any other goon can't bring that element to their team, then yeah pass on him. there are literally hundreds of fighters out there, where one steps out another one is waiting and willing to step right in. but sooner or later power forwards like looch will be common place on every team and everyone is happy.

Archived