The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Canuck's don't win next year. Should we try to draft Connor McDavid in 2015?

MotherCanucker911

I'm not sure about this but I think in the draft lottery you can't fall more than 1 spot in the rankings. So if you come last in the league the worse you can get us 2nd overall.

Edit. Yes that is a rule. Also any team can only move up 4 spots. So the only teams who have a shot a first is 1-5.

Ex.

1 overall - 5th last team

2 overall - last place

3 overall - 2nd last team

4 overall - 3rd last team

5 overall - 4th last team

So the only team who benefits it's 5th for winning the lottery while the other teams only move down 1 spot and no other team can get into the top 5 in this scenario

I'm not sure how you set out to draft the consensus first overall in a couple of years, but I'm certain most teams would love to do so.

In the abscence of a complete roster overhaul (read purposely tanking) I'd say the best bet would be to move a valuable asset for the future first pick of a likely bottom feeder. (New Jersey, Colorado...)

Unfortuately, that ship may have sailed with Gillis letting Edler's trade window pass.

I'm not sure about this but I think in the draft lottery you can't fall more than 1 spot in the rankings. So if you come last in the league the worse you can get us 2nd overall.

Edit. Yes that is a rule. Also any team can only move up 4 spots. So the only teams who have a shot a first is 1-5.

Ex.

1 overall - 5th last team

2 overall - last place

3 overall - 2nd last team

4 overall - 3rd last team

5 overall - 4th last team

So the only team who benefits it's 5th for winning the lottery while the other teams only move down 1 spot and no other team can get into the top 5 in this scenario

It all depends on what happens with the Sedins. If they decide to sign one more contract before retirement, then the Canucks will likely have some measure of success (i.e. making the playoffs) for the next 3-5 years. If they end up walking and returning to Sweden, I would not be opposed to selling off some key pieces for a re-tooling (teams in a market like Vancouver can't afford a full scale "rebuild").

It just so happens that the Sedins will have to make a decision the exact year that McDavid is draft eligible. If this team ends up being a longshot for the playoffs, it's better to recoup some assets and set your sights on a high-end draft pick for a year or even two. McDavid is going to be the best prospect since Crosby.

LOL, you idiot. That is 2 1st overall picks the last 20 YEARS that havent lived up to what they were supposed to be. Players like McDavid come around, maybe every 5-10 years. You dont just play in the OHL as a 15 year old and put up a PPG. Any team who gets McDavid is getting a cornerstone player. I for one would trade anything on the nucks to get that 1st pick in 2015.

Well 40 + years of drafting mostly in the middle of the 1st rounds of the draft and only getting to the stanley cup finals 3 times in team history and failing to bring the cup home doesnt seem to be working.

The times the canucks drafted a top 3 overall pick: Drafting Linden at #2 and the Sedins at #2 and #3 got them in the finals.

Maybe its time for the canucks to draft a #1 pick and 2015 is the best year to do that with McDavid, if canucks doesn't go deep in the playoffs this upcoming season.

Archived