The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Canuck's don't win next year. Should we try to draft Connor McDavid in 2015?

MotherCanucker911

LOL, you idiot. That is 2 1st overall picks the last 20 YEARS that havent lived up to what they were supposed to be. Players like McDavid come around, maybe every 5-10 years. You dont just play in the OHL as a 15 year old and put up a PPG. Any team who gets McDavid is getting a cornerstone player. I for one would trade anything on the nuck to get that 1st pick in 2015.

The new CBA changed how the draft lottery works, didn't it?

Even if you finish dead last, it takes the last 3 years into account or something. We'd still have a very low chance at getting the 1st Overall.

Guest Pinchin

I personally think that our core group is almost finished and we will need to start rebuilding soon. If we don't win it ALL next year, we need to plan for our future. How about in a year from now, trading majority of our core players and rebuilding the team through the draft? I would love to see the more kids(75%) getting a chance to play in a year from now. We have some pretty good prospects (Gaunce, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk,Subban,Corrado,Lack and Cannata). I think if they learn and mature as a team, they will be a very strong group. If we finish low in a year from now(which is strongly possible regardless due to new divisions) and acquire as many draft picks as possible for our veterans, we could try and select Connor McDavid. People have compared this 16 year old to Sidney Crosby. Add him to our group of prospects and we could be a force to reckon with for years to come. I'm not saying purposely tank the season in a year from now. I'm just saying asking how would you feel if this happened? We could actually have a legitimate team that could really compete every year. Thoughts?

It really depends on what we do this year. If the team shows it can still make some noise in the playoffs then the Sedins will resign and we can't tank for McDavid. If we suck this year then we'll have to go complete rebuild and I wouldn't mind seeing that to get a better chance at a once in a generation type player.

Archived