The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

no lu = more goalie controversy

ocnucksfan

Besides being a very good goalie we could use Thomas to pump up Luo right now as he is a tad deflated.

Booth is pretty far out there but as long as he puts the biscuit in the basket and has a nose for the crease I could care less.

Torts has character.His players in New York just lobbied Sather to dump him.

Torts may be able to apply superior systems or have the pulse of his players but the guy is a nut case and will eventually go down the same road that brought him here.

That is not what Torts said, what he said was (and I'm paraphrasing) "A good loser is still a loser. I hate losing."

You are correct in that "winning" is the goal in professional sports, but as professional athletes, these guys are looked upon to be role models and conduct themselves accordingly.

It's why people made a huge deal about the Tiger Woods fiasco, he was a HUGE role model. Tim Thomas is classless and anything but a role model. To sign him would be to spit in the face of what the Canucks as an organization have been reiterating since Gillis' tenure about character, which as a separate topic is dangerously close to hypocrisy.

Besides being a very good goalie we could use Thomas to pump up Luo right now as he is a tad deflated.

Booth is pretty far out there but as long as he puts the biscuit in the basket and has a nose for the crease I could care less.

Torts has character.His players in New York just lobbied Sather to dump him.

Torts may be able to apply superior systems or have the pulse of his players but the guy is a nut case and will eventually go down the same road that brought him here.

Given the debateable talent levels between Lack and Eriksson, it's possible we could have the same issue as we did with Lu and Schneids. With one out playing the other and having to pull one and start the "back up" over whoever is considered the starter so on and so on.

Thomas was a propped-up fraud in BOS. He's no longer there & he can't possibly duplicate those stats again. He & the Bruins benefitted from the Campbell-gate years.

Remember? Do ya recall hearin' 'bout Colin Campbell's memos, phone calls & emails, leaning on officials to get things right for son Gregory & his team? Remember Chara & Lucic inexplicably dodging suspensions while other players 'round the league couldn't? Or do ya remember when Thomas gooned or took-out players with slashes and cross-checks outside of his crease with impunity? Uh-huh! Those where the days! It took forever for folks to clue in to the fact that Mr. Campbell was doing MORE than just operating with some "conflicted" interests. Nothin' even went down until a dismissed official publicly cries foul. Yet - with all of his ingratiated appointees in place - it's was just business as usual for the play-offs, too.

So - IF Thomas ever plays for VAN (ugh! I just threw-up in my mouth) all of those Original-6 perks would be gone as a crutch! Thomas is over-rated & has done little before...or since that SC campaign. Luongo will return in triumph & play more significant games this season than Timmy...mark my words! Lu won't be leavin' those 'mates of his hangin'- for long.

But - if Lu inexplicably breaks character & goes "turn-coat" like Thomas did and bails on his 'mates...then I believe Joacim Eriksson could be a surprising answer. But - with Lu between the pipes for 60 + , Lack can back-him-up & re-hab more,.. while Eriksson plays a lot of AHL games & gets the extra North American seasoning that he requires - in Utica. That's how things should play-out.

2014-'15 will be another can of worms. The NHL will probably expand to Quebec City or Seattle? They should put an expansion team into Southern Ontario - but that plum Jacobs will hold in reserve for the perfect ingratiated chum. Hell, FLA might even be re-located? With a bigger-cap & the Sochi-Olympics done - if Lu still needs out...a deal be more easy to pull-off, with better options 'n' results for all.

Archived