The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Describe the Canucks' reputation; your assesment

Bite me Burr

I see plenty of Canuck fans in every NHL city the Canucks have played in the last few yrs. Don't worry about the teams reputation. Its the league officials that don't care about us. Thats because we fill the building; even though most people can't afford to go to games

Vancouver has a terrible reputation! especially to players!!! NO wonder no hometown boy superstar returns to play for us!! NON!!! This city doesnt deserve to win anything until the fans and mentality and the scrutiny changes!!

if you want to sum up our reputaion, i can do it for you in 1 word. RIOT

It's not a good reputation..If you go to other teams message boards,it's obvious that The Canucks are disliked....mostly for being unsportsmanlike.?........Regardless,..for many years the Canucks weren't talked about at all,which is a lot worse than getting bad mouthed recently....Any publicity is good publicity.

It's not a good reputation..If you go to other teams message boards,it's obvious that The Canucks are disliked....mostly for being unsportsmanlike.?........Regardless,..for many years the Canucks weren't talked about at all,which is a lot worse than getting bad mouthed recently....Any publicity is good publicity.

I disagree, if you come here on FREE AGENCY day you will see alot of people crying and whining that we arent signing anybody.......Did we ever realize that superstar players or high priority free agents dont sign here for a reason! We scrutinize and criticize every little thing these players do and then run them out of town.......who would want to play for that???

I disagree, if you come here on FREE AGENCY day you will see alot of people crying and whining that we arent signing anybody.......Did we ever realize that superstar players or high priority free agents dont sign here for a reason! We scrutinize and criticize every little thing these players do and then run them out of town.......who would want to play for that???

Superstar players and most free agents don't sign anywhere in Canada. They prefer the lower intensity and less taxes in the States. Canadian teams don't win Stanley Cups. And around and around it goes.

When the team started to have success, we were not prepared for the propaganda assault that was forthcoming from some of the enemies that we had made. Consequently the Canucks have been the victims of a smear campaign conducted by our foes in Alberta, Toronto, Chicago, and Boston, which are some pretty important, pretty vocal hockey markets.

I don't think we've responded to this as well as we could have and I don't think that a lot of our own fans have recognized what it is, a smear campaign, propaganda, lots of people have bought in to that narrative that's a narrative coming from outside the fanbase, it's directed at sabotaging our reputation and so far it has sadly been very successful. I think we need to do better at countering this sort of propaganda, and a lot better at first of all recognizing it for what it is and not giving it any credence.

Niedermayer wanted to come home and finish his career here.

Guys with tons of dough have personal reasons to come home and play and they don't give a hoot about what CDC or some goofs think.

These guys are elite athletes and some want to come home,some don't.

They all have reasons,wives,families and dreams.They could care less what we think.

Guest Pinchin

Vancouver has a terrible reputation! especially to players!!! NO wonder no hometown boy superstar returns to play for us!! NON!!! This city doesnt deserve to win anything until the fans and mentality and the scrutiny changes!!

if you want to sum up our reputaion, i can do it for you in 1 word. RIOT

The reputation is what you make it Carl. Every team in the league...LITERALLY EVERY CITY has good and bad fans, you just choose to focus on the bad. The CDC has it's polarized views and sure does have plenty of haters. I don't know where you get your information from, perhaps it's from some tinfoil hat you made to pick up the brain frequencies of players, but I can tell you, you're angry little views are just pie in the sky. Some players come to Vancouver because it's a destination they desire and they are happy. Other players choose other destinations that check their boxes. To think Vancouver has a poor reputation is extremely short sighted and borderline paranoia. Our reputation is actually pretty good if look past the haters on the CDC and some of the haters in our media...and perhaps Chicago or Boston media for good reason. You listen to the propaganda of our rivals and take it as fact. Dude, get over it.

"Canadian teams will not win a CUP while Bettman is in power. His sole purpose is to promote Hockey in the States, after all it's a business."

All teams have the same cap space now and any player has the freedom to go where they wish. Each manager has equal powers to build a team up to what they perceived to be a winning team. How can Bettman stop a Canadian team from winning....sounds like a repetition of unsubstantiated horse manure to me.

we are a losing organization with a tradition of losing......... and are current players aside from a few seem to be a bunch of Dbags... when Mark Recchi came out after they had won the cup and said our team was the biggest group of cry babys yappy arrogant divers , with zero class and said in all his career hes never had an opponent hes had such little respect for as he did for the canucks by the end of the finals. none of that was mind games or lobbying the refs the playoffs were over and so was his career... and he was on the winning side of it... so its not like he was just being a poor loser... so thats gotta tell you something about our team...... i didnt see players throughout the league hate on any 1 team in the finals before or after the nucks were in as much as the entire league of players came out with comments about our canucks in that finals.... and even players that hadnt played them in the playoffs too..... there was never so much hate from fellow players towards 1 team in the finals as the canucks had........ and if its jealously as some fans would like to pass it off as .. well where was the hate for the redwings or penguins or any other great teams???

Don't Say we or us Chris it's so disgustingly obvious you aren't a fan of this team... and if by some divine miracle you are a fan... YOU are what is wrong with the fan base... Self loathing Team fans are absolutely the most pathetic sort on every level... I can respect anyone who is a fan of any team for any reason, and I can respect fans who get upset with management when they screw up or get frustrated with players who don't perform...

But what I hate more than anything else are so called 'fans' who bash on their team any chance they get, who see nothing good about their own team and respect "those great teams" or envy would be a better word, just to seem or maybe feel that they aren't homers.

So get off of your high horse, because IF (and that's a big IF) you are a Canucks fans you are the type of fan which no team needs, you are the fan that I am embarrased to say I rout for the same team as, YOU ARE THE WORST TYPE OF FAN.

"Canadian teams will not win a CUP while Bettman is in power. His sole purpose is to promote Hockey in the States, after all it's a business."

All teams have the same cap space now and any player has the freedom to go where they wish. Each manager has equal powers to build a team up to what they perceived to be a winning team. How can Bettman stop a Canadian team from winning....sounds like a repetition of unsubstantiated horse manure to me.

Them stripped people on the ice are making the calls for Bettman. It is very easily done favoring one team over the other.

By the way I have some swampland for sale in Florida looks like you are just the person that would be interested in some.

I don't care what people think - about me or my team.

However, I'd say that the uninformed, misguided opinion is that we're whiners, divers and complainers. Soft. Weak.

The people who actually follow the team know that they actually have had to battle through some adversity and, yes, have used some desperate measures to bring attention to what other teams are also now experiencing. But that the process in responding to that has meant they've tried to adapt and have been pretty successful despite it all.

It's a learn as you go thing when you're the Canucks...ever changing rules spin you around in circles at times, but they've seen/done it all now. Most educated hockey fans support the Canucks as a talented team. Just as educated Canucks fans can look beyond our team to also appreciate other great players/teams. Hell, I even think Chicago's pretty good even though a few years ago I'd drive the team bus over them if given the chance. You can't deny talent* and you only look silly if you ignore it to prove a point.

*except if it's in relation to the Boston Bruins, in which case they're all awful

Well they were labeled as divers / whiners as there strategy was to take everything and draw the powerplay and try to burn the opposing club. Obviously there were times when players went down extremely easily and I am not that much of a homer to admit there were a few times it looked like kesler, burrows etc went down quite easily and got penalties for it.

I think part of the reputation (my opinion anyway) was bad from the days we had Ruutu & Cooke would stir up other teams and not back it up (I recall Cooke crawling between someones legs and onto the canuck bench).

The team had a bunch of agitators and guys that would embellish (almost too much) in order to get calls and eventually other teams / refs started pointing it out and at that point (again my opinion) the media etc started to overblow the whole situation (name me a team that doesn't have 1 guy that has fallen over extremely easily) and then it took on a life of its own.

The team had / has a few trolls which also added to the reputation. I will say I think its kind of pooey that refs seem influenced by junk in the past, they really should get over themselves and just call the game as is. I highly doubt they would ever do or say anything if they caught the great sidney crosby diving (which by the way he does)

Lol went down easy, guess you've never seen kesler's fake head snap and triple roll dive. Sounds like you are a homer sugar coating kesler, burrows and lappierres acts. Every team has players that does that has divers.

When the team started to have success, we were not prepared for the propaganda assault that was forthcoming from some of the enemies that we had made. Consequently the Canucks have been the victims of a smear campaign conducted by our foes in Alberta, Toronto, Chicago, and Boston, which are some pretty important, pretty vocal hockey markets.

I don't think we've responded to this as well as we could have and I don't think that a lot of our own fans have recognized what it is, a smear campaign, propaganda, lots of people have bought in to that narrative that's a narrative coming from outside the fanbase, it's directed at sabotaging our reputation and so far it has sadly been very successful. I think we need to do better at countering this sort of propaganda, and a lot better at first of all recognizing it for what it is and not giving it any credence.

I 100% agree with this. I stopped paying attention to the media's garbage after Ron Maclean's 10 min rip of Burrows after Auger-gate.

After seeing what happened in 2010/11 (ie. Operation Canuck Villainy) any respect I had left for NHL reporters/media was gone.

should be pretty obvious. and what hurts is, there is more than just one reason on why the nucks are hated. most recently.... the hockey world has seen how we handled the goalie situation... everyone has seen the sedins and others and our goalies get run and the rest of the bench stands idlely by. we havent really sent any message that its not ok to run our stars. the whole " the powerplay is our enforcer " was confirmation of how soft we are, said on national tv . everyone has seen dale weise reject and in one case totally puss out of a fight. the " finger bite ". also the vancouver media makes us look bad. not carrying a true heavy weight. , thus putting guys who dont fit the role .. into the role , and then get beat up. darcy hordichuk has always made fun of the canucks for being soft whenever he is not a canuck. 2 girls/sedin's no cup t-shirts. aka the sisters. the list continues..... there is actually some good articles and threads about this elsewhere. written by canucks fans to boot.

many of us are still waiting on gillis to aquire us some size and grit which he said he would at one of his press conferences.

Archived