The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver + Boston + Depth Signings

To Boston: Chris Tanev, Jordan Schroeder

To Vancouver: Chris Kelly, 3rd round pick 2014

Boston needs to clear cap, Vancouver needs a proper 3rd line checking center who has that extra playoff gear. 1 year removed from a 20 goal/39 point season. Lots of playoff experience. Schroeder has potential, but simply doesn't fit with the team. Tanev is the main piece.. Roughly fair value. Boston has 7 defensemen if Krug is the real deal, so Tanev can fit in.

Sign Mark Fistric 1 year/825,000 --> Huge. Hits. Can handle 15 minutes. Good Corsi. Previous success in Vancity.

Sign Chuck Kobasew 1 year/825,000 --> Vancouver native with wheels who has scored 40 points before but has low value ATM. Can play some PK and move up if necessary.

Sign David Steckel 1 year/825,000 ---> 6'6 15+ point 4th liner who can take draws.

Sign Steve Eminger 1 year/600,000 --> Played under Torts/Sullivan for the past few seasons.. has stepped and and out line-up with ease. Has shown flashes of offensive ability. At 6'2, 207 and a RHed shooter, he might be the perfect fit for a 7th d-man.

Line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Kelly - Hansen

Steckel - Richardson - Kobasew

Sestito, Santorellli

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Fistric - Weber <--- Maybe Corrado

Eminger

Luongo

Lack

Cap hit: 63.65 (I think), leaving 650,000 for call-ups.

Pretty good, but has Gillis emphasized we need some youth in the lineup. What if Gaunce is good enough for the 3rd line center? Still going to put him in the OHL? Kelly has a 3 million cap hit, while Gaunce has a 1 million.

Tanev is our future. Our defense isn't getting younger, Hammer is 30, Bieksa is 32, Garrison is 28, Edler is 27. Tanev is also a righty which we lack.

Good to see something different though.

Chris Kelly's 20 goal season was a result of him shooting at an unsustainably high rate that year. He cashed in because of it and now he's grossly overpaid. He'd be an okay addition if he wasn't making $3M for the next 3 years, but I wouldn't give up much for him.

Fistric would be a decent 7th defenseman but I wouldn't want him as a regular. Same with Eminger.

Chuck Kobasew is done. He was terrible in relatively sheltered minutes and I'd much, much rather have Dale Weise in that position.

Doesn't really make much sense for Boston or us really since once Tanev and Schroeder get re-signed they'll basically be back to where they were before the trade, and we want to get younger, trading two solid young players for an older player is the opposite of wanting to get younger. What about two decent prospects+a 2nd or 3rd for Kelly?

no. We are already tight in caps, adding a 32 years old player who makes more than Tanev and Shredder combine won't make sense no matter how you slice it.

Kelly also has one 20 goals season in his current NHL career, and it's not hard for Schroeder to pass that as he develop as our third line center. So why would we trade to increase our cap pressure and get older and worse?

people got to stop thinking about trading for the sake of trading.

Nope.

Our D is fine now, remove one of the top 5 and we are quite week. We need to develop our own players. Boston also decided to keep kelly during their purge of sequin, horton, peverley... so trading him leaves them thin at center and schorder...not sure what he can offer but you never know he may turn out to be good.

To Boston: Chris Tanev, Jordan Schroeder

To Vancouver: Chris Kelly, 3rd round pick 2014

Boston needs to clear cap, Vancouver needs a proper 3rd line checking center who has that extra playoff gear. 1 year removed from a 20 goal/39 point season. Lots of playoff experience. Schroeder has potential, but simply doesn't fit with the team. Tanev is the main piece.. Roughly fair value. Boston has 7 defensemen if Krug is the real deal, so Tanev can fit in.

Sign Mark Fistric 1 year/825,000 --> Huge. Hits. Can handle 15 minutes. Good Corsi. Previous success in Vancity.

Sign Chuck Kobasew 1 year/825,000 --> Vancouver native with wheels who has scored 40 points before but has low value ATM. Can play some PK and move up if necessary.

Sign David Steckel 1 year/825,000 ---> 6'6 15+ point 4th liner who can take draws.

Sign Steve Eminger 1 year/600,000 --> Played under Torts/Sullivan for the past few seasons.. has stepped and and out line-up with ease. Has shown flashes of offensive ability. At 6'2, 207 and a RHed shooter, he might be the perfect fit for a 7th d-man.

Line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Kelly - Hansen

Steckel - Richardson - Kobasew

Sestito, Santorellli

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Fistric - Weber <--- Maybe Corrado

Eminger

Luongo

Lack

Cap hit: 63.65 (I think), leaving 650,000 for call-ups.

You say Boston does this because they need to clear cap space. Kelly has a cap hit of 3M. Tanev and Schoeder are both Rfa's who are due for raises. Just how much cap space do you think they will clear after signing those two? I guarantee its not enough to motivate them to make this trade

Well, in 8 full years of NHL hockey he has scored 20 once, 15 twice, 14 once, 12 once, paced for 12 once and 10 once (as a rookie).

I think it's safe to say he's a 15 goal scorer, and with two decently offensive linemates like Higgins and Hansen he should be able to hit at least 13-14 again.

Malhotra paced for 12.5 goals the year the Canucks won the President's trophy, went to the finals and Kesler had 41 goals (partially due to having a reliable checking 3C).

I don't disagree that Kelly is a 10-15 goal scorer if we assume that last season was just a down year and not him regressing. He's a capable checking line center but expecting him to replicate what Malhotra did pre-eye injury would be asking a bit much.

With that being said, his contract is an anchor and there's no way I'd give up Tanev and Schroeder for him. If Boston was dumping him then I'd be okay with bringing him in if we had the cap space.

Archived