The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks negotiating a new contract with Andrew Alberts

Good by me, but of course people here need to rage, rage, rage preemptively.

Bingo.

Fistric though, I don't know ... I'd like him if the price is right but reports out of Edmonton I read last month suggested he was looking for a multi-year deal at like, 2.something mill. That's a little steep to me.

Probably.

Alberts I've always liked. I've said it before but people seriously understimate the importance of having a guy who can go weeks without playing and then step in when there's an injury mid-roadtrip. Sure he doesn't do anything flashy and makes the occasional obvious mistake, but for the combo of cap hit+reliability, I'd love to have him back.

Absolutely.

Alberts I've always liked. I've said it before but people seriously understimate the importance of having a guy who can go weeks without playing and then step in when there's an injury mid-roadtrip. Sure he doesn't do anything flashy and makes the occasional obvious mistake, but for the combo of cap hit+reliability, I'd love to have him back.

:picard:

Would much rather have Fistric at this point.

Not sure what exactly is going through Gillis' head right now. Last years team failed miserably.....looks like pretty much no changes for the up coming year.....and he expects different results?

I understand the cap constricts certain changes but this is a round peg in a square hole mentality....

Alberts was awful when he first got here. Really, truly dreadful. I think most people have not forgotten that and this clouds their judgement of Alberts play. After Alberts got a full training camp and learned the Canucks system, he became a serviceable 7th defenseman that could pinch in in a 5/6 slot. Honestly, I don't know what people realistically expect from him. He is a generally low event defenseman who most of the time can be relied upon to play the system and do his job. Every team needs players like this, and having a guy who is familiar with the team and wants to be a Canuck is a better choice than an unknown player.

Alberts was awful when he first got here. Really, truly dreadful. I think most people have not forgotten that and this clouds their judgement of Alberts play. After Alberts got a full training camp and learned the Canucks system, he became a serviceable 7th defenseman that could pinch in in a 5/6 slot. Honestly, I don't know what people realistically expect from him. He is a generally low event defenseman who most of the time can be relied upon to play the system and do his job. Every team needs players like this, and having a guy who is familiar with the team and wants to be a Canuck is a better choice than an unknown player.

I hope Ballard gets back to his normal self in Minny and then the "Did we get rid of Ballard too soon?" threads will join the likes of "Did we get rid of Berneir too soon?" threads ahahahah

Id be alright if we brought Alberts back. He's a solid cheap 7th defenceman and was actually looking pretty good nearing the end of last year, and im not the biggest fan of his. Though id much rather get Fistric or someone who uses their size more!

I don't buy that this team will be the same. Bringing in Tortorella is about as big a chance the Canucks franchise may have ever seen.

Other changes I like: for the first time in years, there is a legitimate chance for one, two, and possibly even three young players to make the team. There will be growing pains for sure, but the Canucks need to start developing NHL players out of their prospects. The fact that there will be true competition for the third and fourth line centre spots means you are going to see the most competitive training camp in years. New faces and energy could mean a whole new personality for this team.

IMO, the biggest deficiency in the Canucks the last two years has had nothing to do with talent. Their biggest deficiency has been a lack of passion. They have played like they wanted it the last two years.

This year, everyone is going to play like they have something to prove. To me, this team is starting to look exciting again.

New coach, very likely 1-3 prospects making the team, improved depth/role players. Seems like a pretty decent amount of change to complement a talented core.

Above all that though, I think I'm most excited to see what Torts and the new coaching staff can do with Edler. I think they can really help him to elevate his game.

Not saying we're winning a cup, but Chicago's 2013 championship team was pretty much the same as the one that was eliminated the season prior in round one by the Coyotes.

Big changes? Reset? Coaching change and some cap compliancy moves.

Archived