The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Totals

-AJ-

So I was looking at hockey stats (as I often do when I'm bored) and decided to marvel at how good of a career Luongo has had thus far.

This got me wondering, where will Lu be on the all-time lists when he finally retires? This first begs the following question: When will he retire? Will he retire in his late 30s, but before his contract expires? Or will he play out his contract?

As of today, here are Luongo's main stats:

Games Played

747 Games

Wins

348 Wins

Shutouts

62 Shutouts

For reference, the Top 30 in wins are in the spoiler below:

All-TimeGoaltenderLeaders-1.png

Lu seems to average at least 4 shutouts per full season, so I'd say that's a safe number to use in that category. Personally, I don't see him playing til his contract ends, more like the late 30s, so I'll just use 39 years old as his retirement date.

*As a side note, Lu may very well get even more than 4 shutouts next year, as he'll likely play more games than he has in recent years.

- At 4 shutouts per year for five more years, Lu will be at 82 shutouts. Assuming no one passes him, that would put him at tied with Jacques Plante for 5th all-time. Pretty incredible.

- Lets say Lu gets an average of 25 wins per season (I know, it's low, but I'm playing it safe). That adds 125 more wins to his total, bringing him up to a stunning 4th.

- Assuming Lu plays 50 games per season (again, perhaps a bit low) Lu could add 250 more games to his total putting him at 997. Ah, what the heck, let's just say 1000 games, making him the 3rd goaltender to hit that milestone.

So, I say, T-5th in Shutouts, 4th in Wins, and 3rd in Games. Pretty stunning, and keep in mind, I used relatively conservative measurements and assumed retirement before 40.

It's pretty stunning what Lu could end up doing. I'd say if he wins a Cup, he not only has a chance at getting into the Hall of Fame, but he'd be a lock.

How good do you think Luongo's stats will get?

I'm a certified Lou critic.

But its hard not to admire either him or his career; he has stunning skills.

A stat you missed, as recently as 2 years ago (I don't know where to check present status) Lou was second all time in save %. Behind only Hasek.

I think its fair to suggest he would already be geared to the HHOF if he had a cup. Its also not hard to project he will either accomplish of a few of those milestone stats or that cup to get him over the line.

Lui is now third... behind lundqvist as well now. We'll see if AV leaves lundqvist in for blow outs when there's absolutely no reason to leave your goalie out. I think av learned his lesson though...

It'll be very close between hasek lund and lui when all is said and done

Imo hasek is the greatest of all time... then roy n brodeur tied for second. Lui will be top five in my books when he's done... and lund will probably too

Wow I didn't realize how close Lu was to catching those other goalies.

To think where could place on the record list is astounding!

When it's all said and done, I think he'll be considered a top 5 goalie of all time, and possibly top 3 if he wins a cup.

Luongo was excellent in the 2007 playoffs on a team that couldn't score. Couldn't do that consistently again.

The team averaged 3+ goals per game in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs, still didn't win more than 1 round.

His playoff stats are skewed because of all the blowouts throughout the years which has to do with him not stopping the puck, not the team not scoring.

in all sports its all about what you do in the playoffs.... regular season numbers are nice to look back at but it dont mean a thing if you aint got that ring.....every year there is 1 team of champions and 29 teams of losers... Lu has been a loser in the NHL for 13 years.. and the canucks have been a losing franchise for 43 years..... the first goalie that comes in and doesn't melt down in the playoffs and wins us a cup will be the greatest goalie this team has ever had... even if whoever that may be only plays for that 1 championship season ..Lu's regular seasons numbers behind one the the highest scoring teams in the worst division with the easiest schedule wont mean a thing........ you guys can all go wait on the road for the Luongo accomplishment parade route , but you might be waiting a while seeing is how they only have them for champs... what are you guys going to bring up next to pat this guy on the back his poker stats?

in all sports its all about what you do in the playoffs.... regular season numbers are nice to look back at but it dont mean a thing if you aint got that ring.....every year there is 1 team of champions and 29 teams of losers... Lu has been a loser in the NHL for 13 years.. and the canucks have been a losing franchise for 43 years..... the first goalie that comes in and doesn't melt down in the playoffs and wins us a cup will be the greatest goalie this team has ever had... even if whoever that may be only plays for that 1 championship season ..Lu's regular seasons numbers behind one the the highest scoring teams in the worst division with the easiest schedule wont mean a thing........ you guys can all go wait on the road for the Luongo accomplishment parade route , but you might be waiting a while seeing is how they only have them for champs... what are you guys going to bring up next to pat this guy on the back his poker stats?

Archived