The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Gilbert Brule hoping for NHL tryout.

According to a new thread over at the HFBoards Canucks forum, the Gallagher article was apparently a kind of PR piece written ostensibly for the purpose of laying the groundwork for the Canucks signing Brule to a cheap contract.

Supposedly, both The Team Radio in Ottawa and Bob Stauffer (Oilers Radio analyst: https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer) have made recent statements to this effect.

Here's the thread in question: http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1471219

Probably nothing more to this than just the usual offseason speculation (and possibly a little good old fashioned rumour mongering). That said, given Brule's local history and his apparent interest in playing for Vancouver, it's not much of a stretch to imagine the Canucks giving him a chance.

I'd still prefer the PTO route but I wouldn't have a problem with signing him now to a contract with an NHL salary near the league minimum (I don't care about one-way or two-way because it's not my money--but obviously a two-way would be better for the organization). If Brule can rebound as a capable roster player for the Canucks at a bargain basement price, then it would be a smart signing (and more "moneypuck" than most of the Gillis moves that are given this label). Otherwise, he could probably still be useful in Utica.

At the very least, he's been a capable faceoff man for most of his NHL career (his FO winning percentage has been better than 50% over several seasons--even with some very weak faceoff teams in Edmonton). The Canucks are still lacking a bottom-six player who has proven (beyond small samples) that he can be counted on to win more often than he loses on the dot. It might not be a bad idea to have a guy like Brule (who's a RH shot) playing alongside Richardson (a LH shooting centermen with some rather underwhelming faceoff percentages).

We'll see what happens...

At the very least, he's been a capable faceoff man for most of his NHL career (his FO winning percentage has been better than 50% over several seasons--even with some very weak faceoff teams in Edmonton). The Canucks are still lacking a bottom-six player who has proven (beyond small samples) that he can be counted on to win more often than he loses on the dot. It might not be a bad idea to have a guy like Brule (who's a RH shot) playing alongside Richardson (a LH shooting centermen with some rather underwhelming faceoff percentages).

Makes a bit sense....

According to a new thread over at the HFBoards Canucks forum, the Gallagher article was apparently a kind of PR piece written ostensibly for the purpose of laying the groundwork for the Canucks signing Brule to a cheap contract.

Supposedly, both The Team Radio in Ottawa and Bob Stauffer (Oilers Radio analyst: https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer) have made recent statements to this effect.

Here's the thread in question: http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1471219

Probably nothing more to this than just the usual offseason speculation (and possibly a little good old fashioned rumour mongering). That said, given Brule's local history and his apparent interest in playing for Vancouver, it's not much of a stretch to imagine the Canucks giving him a chance.

I'd still prefer the PTO route but I wouldn't have a problem with signing him now to a contract with an NHL salary near the league minimum (I don't care about one-way or two-way because it's not my money--but obviously a two-way would be better for the organization). If Brule can rebound as a capable roster player for the Canucks at a bargain basement price, then it would be a smart signing (and more "moneypuck" than most of the Gillis moves that are given this label). Otherwise, he could probably still be useful in Utica.

We'll see what happens...

Archived