The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I buy extended warranty on my MacBook Air?

MikeGillis58

I'm planning on buying a 13-inch MacBook Air at Best Buy next week. I went to a Best Buy store today to demo the product and their sales guy suggested that I should get a performance service plan, which is an extra $300 for 3 years. The sales guy told me how limited the Apple 1-year manufucturer warranty is and how Apple doesn't cover the charger or the battery. Is this true?

Honestly, I don't see any justification in spending the extra $300 because the MacBook Air is already $1049. I think Apple makes good products. Should I buy this extended warranty from Best Buy?

Assuming you're paying the advertised price of $950., you're only getting fair value on the warranty if the chances of the computer not making it are greater than 31.58%. This is ignoring small issues which could be fixed cheaper.

I strongly suspect that computer's survival chances are greater that 70%.

Assuming you're paying the advertised price of $950., you're only getting fair value on the warranty if the chances of the computer not making it are greater than 31.58%. This is ignoring small issues which could be fixed cheaper.

Service plans and extended warranties on electronics (or anything from Best Buy) is a SCAM. They dont offer it to be helpful. They offer it because it is free money for them.IF something on my computer is going to fail itll fail during the manufacturers warranty or 10 years down the road. The extended warranty does no good in either case. Yes, you will find people who found it useful but they are in the vast minority. Remember its a scam and they should be ashamed of themselves for offering it.

If you're going to buy any extended warranty I strongly suggest buying Apple Care. The warranty that he is trying to sell you is decent but I hate the customer service at Best Buy/Future Shop...apparently half the time they send it to apple anyways. Plus he makes the most commission on selling you that. Even if Apple is selling inferior product in comparison to other products in its price point, its customer service really sets it apart from other companies. I have personally experienced calling apple regarding my battery and they sent me a new/refurbished phone in the mail 24 hours later...this was after 2.5 years of owning the phone. They really stand by their products (phone, laptops, comps etc..) That's just my two cents! Good luck!

With all due respect to warranty salesmen, they almost always fudge their numbers with their sales pitch. If they are selling a '3 year warranty' chances are it is actually a 2 year warranty that kicks in after the manufacturers one year warranty has expired.

I have a policy to never buy these warranties and if something does fail I've saved up enough by not buying them to cover a problem if one does pop up..

i would say yes. it adds an extra 2 years onto the existing apple 1 year warranty for a total of 3 years.

and contrary to what the Best Buy guy said...it covers battery and charger.

This warranty however does not cover accidental drops and liquid damage from spills.

The thing with the MBA is everything is attached to the logic board, so it is near impossible for you to replace say RAM if RAM fails.

-----

Hijack guy - you need to look at the pros and cons of each machine - hard drive space, if you need the ROM drive. It is a nice screen though.

You'll probably be fine without one but if you really want one buy applecare. I actually ended up having to use applecare literally one day before it expired because both my airport card and hard drive failed so I ended up saving a bunch of money in the end. I'm probably an outlier on that front though.

Archived