The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't understand why people are downplaying the Booth

5Fivehole0

Things going FOR David Booth:

• SKILLSET (When healthy he has a better skillset than any other player that could replace him from within our system).

• NHL READINESS (He knows our systems, although admittedly that could change, and seems to have good chemistry with Kes and Higgy).

• LACK OF TOP 6 PROSPECT (Currently there are few choices within the prospect pool that would be better at a 2nd line role than Booth).

Things AGAINST Booth:

• CAPSPACE (some rookies will make this team...it remains to be seen where they'll fit in).

Best chemistry / line combos that I can think of for now would be:

SEDIN-SEDIN-BURROWS

KESLER-HIGGINS-BOOTH

Young/Rookie 3rd line (ie/ Gaunce/Schroeder/Kassian/Jensen etc.)

I don't believe Kassian has the skillset (yet) to crack a top 6, and if Zach Kassian is in our top 6 this year, we are in serious depth trouble.

Problem is we lost the team's best second line winger in Samuelson for Booth and Booth and the second line has been MIA since then.

No team can dream of winning anything with one line that is getting beaten to a pulp.

Ragging on Booth is just another way to rag on the fact this management has not put together a second line to compete with.

Sammy played six games in 2011 prior to being traded and tallied 3 points.

He went on to Florida and scored 28 points in 48 games.

The point I was making is that this team has not had a viable second line RW since Samuelsson played a full time role on the team four years ago now. Four years to put together second line success for the Twins and the core.

I agree to some extent. However as was mentioned Booth and Kassian were looking great on the third line before Booth got injured. That's the only reason why I'd want to see him there, but we got two lock third line wingers. As has also been mentioned by Nuck Nit, the biggest problem is the lack of MG building a quality second line. The single reason we have not reached potential as a team in the last couple years.

In Booth's defence, he has had some bad luck. Just when he was reaching his form with our team that Porter bastard from Edmonton did his knee. At that point the second line was looking great. A line of Booth Kesler and Kassian hopefully could be good but Booth and Kassian did way better on the third line with someone that has playmaking ability. Kesler does but it's not by passing the puck it's by skating like an animal through the middle of the ice and getting second chances off of rebounds and collecting the puck behind the net after collisions.

As for a second line with Burrows on it I fear 190 - 210 points is out of the question. Kes could get 70, Booth 60, but without the Sedins I don't see anyway Burrows tops 50.

I'm not going to read all of that, but nothing is absolute. Booth was effective in the bottom 6 coming back from injury this past season, and if we see an opportunity to improve the second line by having someone else there, then Booth will move down.

The rumour is already that Torts wants Kesler and Burrows together again so that could mean Booth or Higgins play the other wing. We could also have a younger player there, most likely Jensen or maybe Schroeder, which I don't mind at all. There are options and we'll see which one sticks at camp.

Personally if Burrows and Kesler are a pairing then I'd like to see more of a playmaker with them. If Schroeder's healthy I'd really like to see what he can do there.

Old Vancouver proverb:

"When pencilling Booth into the lineup,

Make sure you have plenty of eraser."

I judge players by how they look on the ice and not necessarily their stats.

His stats are awful for the amount of chances he was generating. Moreover he was hampered by injuries.

I see a big comeback year for him and expect a lot of people to jump back on the Booth train.

I think the only question mark is whether he can stay healthy.

He's had terrible puck luck and injury luck while in Vancouver.

That string of bad luck has to stop at one point right???

To answer the title question.....because he needed 2 chances and an assist to score on an empty net this year.

But, other than not scoring he actually was looking good before he got hurt again. Assuming he doesn't get hurt again, I would expect to see him find his rhythm, regain his previous form and hopefully even improve a little, especially in shot accuracy. Otherwise, he's as good as gone for his cap hit alone.

Guest Pinchin

That comment about his religion is not necessary, he has actually at times been one of our best players just injuries have caused him to miss a lot of time. Even last year before he got injured he was hitting, forchecking hard and playing some great hockey, just had zero puck luck

Archived