The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Mainly Mattias

Do you even know?

It's bollocks to expect teenagers to know what they want to be at such an early age. They have no clue what types of jobs are available, nor are they educated as to the expectations or requirements of that profession. How do they choose professions? By the paycheque?? By what their parents want them to be?? This needs to change.

Today, had some guest speakers talk about lessons learned and daily life to the students. One of the speakers told the class that the pressure is enormous, the time spent working is ridiculous and the pay is really not that high after taxes. I totally think this should happen at the high school and university level. School is so far removed from real working life. It would be less of a shock to the system if myths about the profession were busted earlier. Then you wouldn't feel obligated to keep at a profession you hate because you had already invested so much money and time into it!

There should be public info sessions where people just speak on their profession: how they got into it, the educational requirements, daily life, stress load, which personalities would suit, etc. That way people wouldn't have to ask for informational interviews. Polititian, mechanic, surveyor, doctor, athlete, buyer, executive assistant, entrepreneur, etc..

I'm 21... So there's no more growing up for me now.. Reality has set in, and it sucks. I figured out what I loved doing at 19 years old, and that was DJIng and producing synthesized, computerized music, or... EDM. It's a shame I didn't figure this out when I was 13-14. I got all these other 20 year olds with yearrrsss experience on me.

It's an unrealistic job too, but I would've taken the chance had I done it earlier. Realistically, now I produce EDM as a hobby, and instead am just looking for a job with good income, preferably a trade. Therefore I can have a stress-free future while doing what I love.

On a more related note, not just referring to the topic title, I chose not to go into school right after I graduated because I didn't have an idea of what I was going to become, and I didn't want to fork out money for a "maybe", and rather, I waited until I knew what I wanted to do, which of course I do now, but there is no point in going to school for it. Society thinks they need to go to school right after, really, you SHOULD know what you want to do before you get out of high-school in my opinion, and it'd be best to know what your getting into, and know what it may consist of beforehand, which is as you stated, not always the case before post-secondary. My school had only so many electives. Everyone I knew from my grad class was taking Psychology, Biology, becoming a doctor, or a cop. It was a pretty dull grad class imo in terms of how open the career choices were in and them moving forward.

On one last note. My parents never forced anything on me, but they also didn't exactly encourage me to find a profession, which is why I'm going into a trade in the end, and giving in to a good paying job, rather than aiming for what I love doing.

I had it all figured out at 13, I was going to go to Culinary school and become a chef.

Now, I've got plans to attend BCIT, get a degree in Broadcast Journalism and make my name in the sporting world!

Because that's such a competitive and evolving market though, I might just take a trade and do something that I know will pay well and employ me for years to come....

It's a tough call. Something that really does take a ton of thought.

I'm 21... So there's no more growing up for me now.. Reality has set in, and it sucks. I figured out what I loved doing at 19 years old, and that was DJIng and producing synthesized, computerized music, or... EDM. It's a shame I didn't figure this out when I was 13-14. I got all these other 20 year olds with yearrrsss experience on me.

It's an unrealistic job too, but I would've taken the chance had I done it earlier. Realistically, now I produce EDM as a hobby, and instead am just looking for a job with good income, preferably a trade. Therefore I can have a stress-free future while doing what I love.

On a more related note, not just referring to the topic title, I chose not to go into school right after I graduated because I didn't have an idea of what I was going to become, and I didn't want to fork out money for a "maybe", and rather, I waited until I knew what I wanted to do, which of course I do now, but there is no point in going to school for it. Society thinks they need to go to school right after, really, you SHOULD know what you want to do before you get out of high-school in my opinion, and it'd be best to know what your getting into, and know what it may consist of beforehand, which is as you stated, not always the case before post-secondary. My school had only so many electives. Everyone I knew from my grad class was taking Psychology, Biology, becoming a doctor, or a cop. It was a pretty dull grad class imo in terms of how open the career choices were in and them moving forward.

On one last note. My parents never forced anything on me, but they also didn't exactly encourage me to find a profession, which is why I'm going into a trade in the end, and giving in to a good paying job, rather than aiming for what I love doing.

I had it all figured out at 13, I was going to go to Culinary school and become a chef.

Now, I've got plans to attend BCIT, get a degree in Broadcast Journalism and make my name in the sporting world!

Because that's such a competitive and evolving market though, I might just take a trade and do something that I know will pay well and employ me for years to come....

It's a tough call. Something that really does take a ton of thought.

I'm almost 28 and I still don't know this.

I think I am going to go back to Trades school and take either Welding, Electrical or Plumbing and Pipe....Not sure which one yet, still need to do some more research.

When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur, I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world, I made my arms short and I roamed the back yard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared, everybody knew me and was afraid of me, and one day my dad said "Bobby you are 17, it's time to throw childish things aside" and I said "OK Pop", but he didn't really say that he said that "Stop being a ???? dinosaur and get a job".

When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur, I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world, I made my arms short and I roamed the back yard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared, everybody knew me and was afraid of me, and one day my dad said "Bobby you are 17, it's time to throw childish things aside" and I said "OK Pop", but he didn't really say that he said that "Stop being a ???? dinosaur and get a job".

Archived