The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Mainly Mattias

It is a stressfull job for sure. My wife is a Phamacist/Pharmacy manager and makes very good money. Her store just hired a new Phamacist right out of school and I believe he is making close to $50 hour. You must have read the 2013 wages and benefits survey that just came out that show the average annual salary for a full time Phamacist is $90,000.

Police manofficer.

Had that in mind by Gr.12, so did the RCMP's youth academy. That went well for me, so from then on I've been working towards that career goal. Have been volunteering with the community police stations in my city for a couple of years, and recently got accepted into the auxiliary constable program. As far as education goes I'm doing my crim minor and police studies certificate at SFU.

I'm not really picky about what organization I'd like to go for but I would have to consider that I am now more familiar with the RCMP. What kind of PO? Don't know yet but people I know say I'd be good in a community liaison-type role and I can see that. On the other hand I also really love dogs so you know where that's headed.

Seaspan will need a lot more employees when they start building the navy supply ships and coast gaurd vessels.

Welders, boilermakers, all sorts of trades. The projects are slated to last about 20 years so a guy/gal could land a god long term career.

The marine industry is already short of qualified engineers and deck officers-worldwide.

I graduated a few months ago as well. Unfortunately I'm at the bottom 5% of that annual salary survey lol. I have received 3 job offered in the last 2 months with higher pay and more hours and benefits (and i havent been applying) but I don't want to quit so soon after starting a new job. That survey really makes me want to leave though haha.

Does your wife work in vancouver? That's a really high salary for a new grad...

Quite surprised at the posts in this thread. Haven't seen one person who wants to be their own boss and start their own business.

Is everyone content just putting in their 8 hours a day and getting a guaranteed paycheque? Maybe buggering off to Palm Springs for 1 week a year? Does nobody want more than that?

Where are the risk takers? The ones who want to control their destiny? The ones who want to build something?

In the past people weren't this beaten down until their 40's.

Quite surprised at the posts in this thread. Haven't seen one person who wants to be their own boss and start their own business.

Is everyone content just putting in their 8 hours a day and getting a guaranteed paycheque? Maybe buggering off to Palm Springs for 1 week a year? Does nobody want more than that?

Where are the risk takers? The ones who want to control their destiny? The ones who want to build something?

I think I have finally made my mind up, I still need to talk to North Island College and Camosun about career direction.

Camosun says their Plumbing/Refrigeration/Pipe course can set you up and branch out on 7 different types of careers within those fields.

North Island's Plumbing and Pipe foundation mentions about 4-5 without saying much about HVAC (Which is what I would want to do)

But when I look at both the curriculum's, they both show some differences in what you learn. So now just torn on what school to go to and overall what would have the better program for what I want to do.

Well I'm a business owner at 24 years of age. It's actually a family business (I run it with my dad)...we do framing for a living and invest in property on the side.

I didn't want to work full-time after graduating from high school and enrolled in post-secondary. I'm currently going into my 6th year to get my MA in Crim from SFU. I don't plan on using the degree for anything...just for the hell of it (and the fact I didn't want to be left out as my sisters were university...) I chose Crim mainly because I always wanted to become a cop growing up...obviously not worth becoming one since I make a lot more framing.

As a child, I wanted to be an archeologist because I had just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark. Since I've matured more, I realized I can't runaway from boulders and drink from the Holy Grail everyday. Today, I'm a 15 year old, hoping that I'll get into General Sciences at UBC, after go to Medical School, and eventually become a General Practitioner. The next two years are going to be scary, but it'll be worth it at the end. Plan B will be Diagnostic Medical Sonography at BCIT.

Choosing the right profession is difficult to do. After high school, I thought I had it all figured out. I planned on going to school for nursing and eventually, maybe, go to med school. A year into post-secondary, I realized that I really didn't want to be in the medical field, but I had all this pressure from my parents to do the "right thing." They completely disapproved of what I really wanted to do. I took random courses in college and finally took a 2 year hiatus from school. I honestly felt like a failure because I was working at a minimum wage job with no career plans. As a last ditch effort, I signed up for a medical lab assistant program. I got the acceptance letter 6 months later and kept post-poning calling the school to confirm… I hadn't even told my parents about it. I missed the deadline and someone from admissions called and asked if I still wanted the spot. I said no and told my father when i hung up that I turned it down and that I was going to do what I wanted. I went home that night and signed up for the Baking and Pastry program at VCC.

2 years later, at 25 years old… I graduated in late February of this year and got my current job a week after finishing school by a recommendation from a well known Vancouver Pastry Chef I did my 3 week stage with. I hadn't even started handing out resumes… just got a call one day and the rest is history.

I consider myself very lucky and truly grateful for everything that's happen to me these last few months. As cheezy as it may sound, I know that this was what I was meant to do and I don't regret the path I took to get me here. :)

Take welding and art classes. Get your hands dirty and learn computer design and 3d printing. Profit huge in the next wave of small scale high design manufacturing. Everything will be customized. At least that's what I keep telling my 19 yr old brother. I'm almost 29, married with 2 kids.

Should also point out that I founded my first company at 21 and have grown it to a good size and that has given me the luxury of investing into interests. So as a few posters above me have stated, be a risk taker. It's highly rewarding but has its drawbacks. Like today, when an employee didn't show and I took his place today. Loved it. It's cool seeing grown men using your invention and technology and having it work flawlessly while being the low man on the totem pole holding a shovel.

Archived