The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford On TH: Horvat, Gaunce not ready, Luongo situation

Southpop45

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Horvat should stay in london for a couple years, gaunce either make it this year or next year, shinkaruk should stay in the dub for a couple years then to the comets for a year. Jensen should play for the comets this year and makes the team next year. This year either gaunce or schroeder for third line center

You people are ridiculous the way you overestimate the amount of time some prospects are gonna need. 3-4 years? Gimme a freaking break. If it was up to you they would spend another 5 years developing in the farm. The management and coaching also said that the prospects will be given greater opportunity to contribute, and the NHL is getting younger too. I'm sure at least one of them is gonna make it, maybe more.

despite what botch would have you believe..the loudest person in the room isnt always right.

where is Lain in all of this?

any reason he cant be pushing for a spot? Seems like he was a highly touted collegeFA that we were able to land

The incouraging part of this thread is that most people have little repsect for botchford as a journalist. Talk show host is right there too.

Jason, you're a hack sports write. Canuck fans may not agree on everything hockey but thank God we know hack journalism when we read or here it .

You people are ridiculous the way you overestimate the amount of time some prospects are gonna need. 3-4 years? Gimme a freaking break. If it was up to you they would spend another 5 years developing in the farm. The management and coaching also said that the prospects will be given greater opportunity to contribute, and the NHL is getting younger too. I'm sure at least one of them is gonna make it, maybe more.

I think Gaunce makes the team. He has the physical development to play with the big boys, and I'm not convinced another year playing against kids (17-20 year olds) is going to do much for his development...In fact, I think another year of junior could stagnate his progress because it may not be challenging enough for him to be forced to get better.

I think they could make the jump in a pinch but what do you do with Schroeder?

I think one of them will only make the team if they outplay JS by a long shot and that will be a tough task. I'm not over hyping Jordan or nothing it's just he's an nhl ready player too and is going to be working just as hard for the job. He's already played against men too which will work in his favor. Schroeder is just more prepared for the mans game now and it will be hard for 2 guys to come out of junior and outperform him to the point gillis says "I'm willing to ruin this asset and bury him in the minors because Horvat is that good right now".

Injuries could change things and tortorella could still find some magic with Schroeder on the wing.. But my gut feeling is Schroeder steals this one.

I think they could make the jump in a pinch but what do you do with Schroeder?

I think one of them will only make the team if they outplay JS by a long shot and that will be a tough task. I'm not over hyping Jordan or nothing it's just he's an nhl ready player too and is going to be working just as hard for the job. He's already played against men too which will work in his favor. Schroeder is just more prepared for the mans game now and it will be hard for 2 guys to come out of junior and outperform him to the point gillis says "I'm willing to ruin this asset and bury him in the minors because Horvat is that good right now".

Injuries could change things and tortorella could still find some magic with Schroeder on the wing.. But my gut feeling is Schroeder steals this one.

Guest Dasein

Gaunce plays on olympic-sized ice on home ice in Belleville. His skating may not be best, but the guy can get around. At 6'2" 220lbs, he would be our 2nd biggest forward after Kassian - and he would be the heaviest if Kassian doesn't bulk up in this off-season (214lb last season).

This guy is physically ready. The question is whether his hockey IQ is up to the NHL level.

I wouldn't count him out.

Horvat? This guy plays for Dale Hunter who has experience coaching in the NHL, and doing quite well - well enough to be offered a contract extension. However, he refused and returned to London. If there is any coach that could get a prospect ready for the NHL, it's Hunter.

So I wouldn't count Horvat out either. He's not only physically ready, but also has had the best coach in the juniors to teach him all the other aspects of becoming an NHL player.

Personally, I think Gaunce makes the #3 pivot or wing, and Horvat goes back for one more year and a chance at 3peat in the OHL.

Archived