The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Is Luongo's Contract Bad?

The Magician

Yeah the contract sucks. The NHL made a rule specifically to handicap any team trading for Luongo.

But it's not as bad as some would make it seem for the Canucks.

As fas as I understand it, his contract can be mutually voided at any time. Luongo would need to forfeit any remaining salary but would be free to sign anywhere. Which is different from retiring and collecting the remaining salary and the team having to deal with recapture penalties.

Luongo makes $6.714m/ year until 2018/38 years old. That's the part of the contract Luongo wants to capitalize on. He'll need to decide how much $ he'll lose by terminating the contract minus the amount he'll earn on a new one.

It's not a loophole. I would think it's the base for any contract to allow for mutual termination. It's just not agreed to by both parties very often. But given the drastic change in the CBA, probably the best thing to do. When is the question.

The ONLY way Lu's contract "sucks" is because we thought we could use a younger goalie for a couple more years for like, half a million cheaper... not exactly a reason to sell the farm. Should have traded Schneider 2 years ago... lol sorry GMMG, just an armchair qb

Schneider was the backup... no Schneider no trophy.

I'm sure all those nominations must just fill his trophy cabinets. All that proves is he was second or third best but not number one.

Luongo did his part for three games in the SCF getting two 1-0 shutouts to tie a SCF record. He was terrible on the road where he tied a record for most goals against in a SCF game (a game his ego wouldn't let him out of to save embarrassment) and set one for fastest four goals against in a SCF game. Oh, but Schneider let one of those in so I guess it's all his fault despite Lu letting in 3/4.

By your logic... Luongo was the starter... no Luongo in Games 1 and 5... no two 1-0 shutouts (tied a SCF record)

... Luongo was the starter... no Luongo in Game 3...no 8-1 blowout. (tied a SCF record)

... Luongo was the starter... no Luongo in game 6....no fastest four goals against record (set a SCF record)

Pretty inconsistent to me when you consider Thomas and his losses especially the first two games where Boston's D was getting criticized for hanging Thomas out to dry. If we can only expect Luongo to do his part for half the games and blow the other half in any given series then I seriously doubt we'll ever win with him.

But thanks for pointing out that the Stanley Cup is a team trophy. If the impossible were to happen and he actually was part of a Stanley Cup winning team I wouldn't want you or anyone else claiming it was all him.

Also I don't know Luongo personally so it would be unfair to say I hate him as much as it is for you to say any one who dislikes Luongo's performances must hate him personally too. I'm sure he's a great guy to know. I just dislike his inconsistency.

Can always be bought out next offseason... no worries see how he plays this season... Amnesty buyout if he craps the bed. The contract with the new CBA is not debilitating... FA just needs to bite the bullet and pay $$$$

Schneider was the Back up played 25 games posting a 16-4-2 record a .929 sv% and a 2.23 gaa without him no Jennings trophy and to be honest the Jennings is more of a team trophy the goalies do their part as much as the defense in front of them do their part blocking shots taking away scoring chances.

He has been nominated for 1 hart 2 vezina's ( the 2nd one in 2010-2011 he didn't even come close to 2nd in voting was 3rd) and 1 Pearson that's great he has been nominated but he hasn't won anything with just his name on it that is a fact.

Yes please keep bringing up the Cup run and the lack of offense and I will keep bringing up the fact he may of single handedly won 3 games but his inability to win the 4th game will most likely be his downfall as a Canuck you can spout of the dryed up offense theory all you want but just remember both the offense and Luongo are to blame for the 4 losses not just 1 of them

anyone able to tell me why i can hit enter on google chrome to put spaces in between posts and can't quote but in internet explorer its the opposite i can't hit enter but i can quote people

Apparently Apollo you can't read at all because i posted that it was both the fault of the offense and Luongo for losing the cup but its Luongo fanboy's that wanna spout off it was all the offense's fault because Luongo won them 3 games it was ok for him to take 4 games off and be flat out inconsistent again i will say it was the offense and Luongo who lost the cup if Luongo were able to put together 1 more performance like he did in his 3 wins they would of won the cup and if the offense could of scored a couple more goals when Luongo couldn't stop a beach ball they would of won the cup and again i will say his inconsistent play will likely be his downfall this is how he has been his entire career

do you know what decline means? ill help you out .... Decline:Noun: a gradual and continuous loss of strength, numbers or quality .... 3 years ago Lu was great...2 years ago he slipped back down to his average... last year sucked...

2011 GAA 2.11 S% .928 > 2012 GAA 2.41 S% .919 > 2013 GAA 2.56 S% .907.... i would call that a Decline..

Schneider was the Back up played 25 games posting a 16-4-2 record a .929 sv% and a 2.23 gaa without him no Jennings trophy and to be honest the Jennings is more of a team trophy the goalies do their part as much as the defense in front of them do their part blocking shots taking away scoring chances.

He has been nominated for 1 hart 2 vezina's ( the 2nd one in 2010-2011 he didn't even come close to 2nd in voting was 3rd) and 1 Pearson that's great he has been nominated but he hasn't won anything with just his name on it that is a fact.

Yes please keep bringing up the Cup run and the lack of offense and I will keep bringing up the fact he may of single handedly won 3 games but his inability to win the 4th game will most likely be his downfall as a Canuck you can spout of the dryed up offense theory all you want but just remember both the offense and Luongo are to blame for the 4 losses not just 1 of them

anyone able to tell me why i can hit enter on google chrome to put spaces in between posts and can't quote but in internet explorer its the opposite i can't hit enter but i can quote people

So you are saying that Luongo is on a decline when the whole team has been declineing for the past two years. 2011 was a great year for us, we had everything going are way and everyone had career years. I guess Kesler sucks, Sedins suck, Burrows sucks, Edler sucks, Bieksa sucks everyone who had a career year in 2011 and couldn't recreate that on a team riddled with injury, chemistry problems and a coach that left it to the players to figure things out.

So you are saying that Luongo is on a decline when the whole team has been declineing for the past two years. 2011 was a great year for us, we had everything going are way and everyone had career years. I guess Kesler sucks, Sedins suck, Burrows sucks, Edler sucks, Bieksa sucks everyone who had a career year in 2011 and couldn't recreate that on a team riddled with injury, chemistry problems and a coach that left it to the players to figure things out.

Archived