The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I know this pain

avelanch

The Temptations are form the 60's. Queen/Freddy, the 70's. There were a few notable good artists/bands from the 80's like say the Police, U2 etc that have actually stood the test of time but most of it was either pop garbage, disco re-treads and glam metal.

The 90's were INFINITELY better...Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP's, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Greeen Day, Nin, Rage, Beck, Soundgarden, Weezer, STP, Jane's Addiction, Black Crowes etc, etc, etc

The only decade that rivals it (exceeds it IMO) is the 60's.

Again, a lot of those artists are actually from different decades. The Beatles released Let it Be in 1970...I wouldn't consider them a "70's band"

And while I enjoy the quaint rose coloured memories of the Prince's etc of the world...I wouldn't put their musical contributions on par more*ahem* legitimate artists.

I'm not saying the 80's were devoid of musical talents, there certainly were some FANTASTIC outliers there but by and large, the 80's airwaves were mostly filled with utter grabage compared to the high water marks left first by the 60's and later by the 90's.

i'd still consider the beatles part of the 70's, despite most of their work being in the 60's, and only having one record in 1970. it's not when the artists started/the band was formed, it's when their music was released. an artist can be part of multiple decades, i don't know why you would limit them to just one.

I'm not limiting anything. Most of those artists from other decades simply did not do their best work in the 80's. Aerosmith did most of and IMO their better work in the 70's for example. If we're discussing music by decades (as we are I believe) and I had to pick one for them it would be the 70's, not the 80's.

That doesn't mean they didn't make any music (good or otherwise) at other times. They had some success in the 90's as well...do you consider Aerosmith a "90's band"? I consider them a 70's band who happened to make some music in the 90's (and 80's etc) personally.

Archived