The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to get over a horror movie.

zombieksa

I have to admit something. I have had reocuring nightmares for over 12 years after watching a horror flick. Not every night but frequent enough to keep my memory of it sharp. I just want to know have any of you had an experience like this? I watched the movie again a few years ago and also tried watching spoofs and "making of's" but it only made the nightmares more frequent so I have more or less attempted to avoid all references of it. Unfortunately I enjoy meme sites and what not so occasionally I find myself staring at the main antagonist from time to time (or watching one of those devilish videos that has a face appear shockingly half way through.)

I don't really know what to do about it. I am a grown man and honestly, I need my sleep.

I watched 3 guys one hammer a while ago and that's the sort of stuff that can stick with you since it's real. Had a few recurring nightmares with that but with a horror movie that's not real just keep telling yourself it's fake and whatever happened didn't really happen.

3 guys one hammer is a chick flick compared to some of the beheading video clips that I've seen. Especially beheading by Mexican drug cartels, where after the head is cut off clean, the eyes of the victims still moves. If you can watch those clips, then you can pretty much watch any horror movies that was ever made.

I've completed my investigation and I have 3 possible movies:

- Ju-on (the original Grudge)

- American Psycho

- It

I don't really have any advice OP, but I learned how to lucid dream and I have maybe one nightmare a year. Maybe watch it during the day with a friend?

Did you watch this movie at a really young age? Horror movies only scared me as a child, but they did a great job of it. Flooding is an option, but I'd do it in the day with some friends, then alone in the day, then at night with some friends, and finally, alone at night (with lights on, then lights off).

I would sleep with the light on if it really bothers you. It's not the best for your eyes, but staying up isn't either.

OP, this movie/image/character is something deeply ingrained in your psyche. A few people here have suggested speaking to a therapist. While that isn't a bad idea. I might even suggest visiting a hypnotist.

Not an area I am very familiar with but I don't think it could hurt. Best of luck to you OP.

Movie must have been Sharknado !

But in all seriousness I remember being scared of those 2 little girls from the shining for the longest time. I had to force myself to not be scared of them by watching it and pausing it on them and forcing it it my mind that if i ever did see them that I could outrun them, or beat them somehow. It sounds silly but you have to mentally defeat the issue of the movie that is scaring you. Im not sure if its a character that is freaking you out or a certain situation but you have to break it down and picture in your mind how you could 'overcome' whatever it is that is causing the fear

I was really young when Fargo came out and I remember walking in during the wood chipper scene. It bothered me for 10+ years when I'd think about it. I didn't know what he movie was called or what it was about at the time - all I saw was a leg sticking out of a wood chipper and a torrent of blood spraying out.

When I was watching all the Coen brother movies years ago I came across it and laughed. Hasn't bothered me since.

Archived