The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about police radar

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

My brother was driving home from Richmond today after work, going soutbound on highway 91. He noticed this police vehicle parked in the median facing his direction as he drove by, but there were no officers outside the vehicle holding radar guns. I told him it's most likely radar nonetheless and he told me he was going over the limit as he was basically following the speed of the cars in front of him (somewhere between 10-30 over posted, most likely 15-20 though). He didn't see a flash or anything, but I'm not so sure there would've been one.

Can he expect a ticket in this case? If so, how much? And are there are things that they might slap with with?

Hi guys,

My brother was driving home from Richmond today after work, going soutbound on highway 91. He noticed this police vehicle parked in the median facing his direction as he drove by, but there were no officers outside the vehicle holding radar guns. I told him it's most likely radar nonetheless and he told me he was going over the limit as he was basically following the speed of the cars in front of him (somewhere between 10-30 over posted, most likely 15-20 though). He didn't see a flash or anything, but I'm not so sure there would've been one.

Can he expect a ticket in this case? If so, how much? And are there are things that they might slap with with?

I've never heard of this before. I've only ever heard of a police officer holding the radar gun and pinning you right away for speeding. Not sure on your question, but I do know how to fight a ticket if you get one.

(Ontario, so it may be different)

Cops almost never show up in court if you chose that route. If you really want a ticket gone legally, that's the best way to do it. 9 out of 10 times, you'll win by default because there will be no cop to testify against you. That's because it takes around a year after the ticket for the actual court date and the cop will not care about some minor speeding ticket (for a ticket to be considered "Minor" the ticket has to be 49km/over or under. 50+ is categorized as street racing and is a major offence) given a long time ago.

Not sure if you guys in BC have a choice to speak with a third party mediator within a week to talk about the ticket, if you do, DO NOT go that route. Almost never works.

3 options you should receive (if it is the same)

1) Pay the ticket 100% and be done with it

2) Take it to court

3) 3rd party mediator

Actually going 20 over the speed limit can hurt somebody, that's why there are posted speed limits in the first place. However, I understand going the flow of the traffic. Unfortunately rules are still rules and if you get caught breaking the law, then the only one to blame is yourself. Calling the law enforcement dicks and idiots is clear disrespect to people who are only trying to look out for your safety.

On that particular stretch of 91, I have NEVER observed cars doing the posted limit of 90. It's always 100+ minimum. In fact, the first time I drove on that highway (right when I first got my L), I observed the limit and got tailgated the whole way. Now I know why. I only wish those driving centres would actually teach you HOW TO DRIVE.

That only applies for speeds around 30 km/h vs 50 km/h.

Getting hit by a car doing 100 km/h instead of 80 km/h won't make a whole lot of difference.

I say as long as you're not reckless, there's no harm in going ~25 km/h over the speed limit on a regular basis. I'd rather have smart drivers who speed rather than overly cautious drivers who follow every single rule to the letter.

Archived