The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about police radar

sakage.shinga

Sure, you are right about that point and I've never said that everyone needs to follow the speed limits perfectly. Speeding is a big deal though because of the fact that there are too many people that believe they are good enough drivers and not realize the dangers they are putting themselves and others in until it is too late. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, just emphasizing that speeding is a risk and the physics behind it proves that it can and has because no one is perfect (some far from it).

Now can you imagine if that person rear-ended you going 20km/h more?

These are dangerous zones and clearly if people are getting caught, they are not taking the risks seriously. You may see it as "padding their pockets" and you may be right, but you need to consider why these spots are looked at. It is more difficult to stop down a steep hill, can you imagine if you're over the speed limit and some sudden happens in front of you? If you know the speed limits are going to be dropping and rather quickly, should you not be aware of this and be slowing down?

Are the speed limits perfect everywhere? No, but it is your role as a driver on the road to be aware of these things, which you've shown you are and should be able to avoid any tickets then. It's the ones that aren't aware and are deservingly caught.

Hi guys,

My brother was driving home from Richmond today after work, going soutbound on highway 91. He noticed this police vehicle parked in the median facing his direction as he drove by, but there were no officers outside the vehicle holding radar guns. I told him it's most likely radar nonetheless and he told me he was going over the limit as he was basically following the speed of the cars in front of him (somewhere between 10-30 over posted, most likely 15-20 though). He didn't see a flash or anything, but I'm not so sure there would've been one.

Can he expect a ticket in this case? If so, how much? And are there are things that they might slap with with?

people worry too much about tickets and "how fast you can go"...

I think stupid drink and drive and I think stupid get a highway to step on the gas as if you´ll die on the next hour. if you want drink get a taxi, if you want race got to a racetrack...

I lost some friends due to these factors. people think they can survive anything but when you wake up on a hospital after a surgery you discovery that things are diferent than you imagine.

imagine if the speed limit in Canada goes to 150km/h. sooner somebody will say that go to 200km/h will not hurt anybody. but imagine if the asphalt is wet or covered by snow? or if you´re going on a downhill driving a heavy car or a truck? now imagine you without professional traning? can you deal with this?

I can tell you guys by my own experience, drive faster will not get you there faster. what counts is the average speed, it doesnt matter if you go at 180km/h on a straight line if you reduce to 80km/h on the next turn, your average speed will be lower...

and doesn´t matter if you reach all this speed if you stop for lunch/food/rest/bathroom every 2 hours...

usually when I have to travel by car the distance is more than 400km. so I keep the speed at 100 or 110km/h (here the limit is 110km/h) all the time and I don´t stop unless for refuel. so my average is always around 100km/h and I get to my destination faster and safer...

and as I posted on "gallery". when I drove the 3.445 km from Curitiba to Belém (4 days driving 12 hours every day) I did this. always between 100 and 110km/h, the car goes fine, you don´t force the engine so much and you don´t consume fuel more than you need...

our speed limits here are:

110 > highways or city highways (government want to change to 130)

80 > big avenues

70 > medium avenues

60 > streets

40 > schools

30 > hospitals

people worry too much about tickets and "how fast you can go"...

I think stupid drink and drive and I think stupid get a highway to step on the gas as if you´ll die on the next hour. if you want drink get a taxi, if you want race got to a racetrack...

I lost some friends due to these factors. people think they can survive anything but when you wake up on a hospital after a surgery you discovery that things are diferent than you imagine.

imagine if the speed limit in Canada goes to 150km/h. sooner somebody will say that go to 200km/h will not hurt anybody. but imagine if the asphalt is wet or covered by snow? or if you´re going on a downhill driving a heavy car or a truck? now imagine you without professional traning? can you deal with this?

I can tell you guys by my own experience, drive faster will not get you there faster. what counts is the average speed, it doesnt matter if you go at 180km/h on a straight line if you reduce to 80km/h on the next turn, your average speed will be lower...

and doesn´t matter if you reach all this speed if you stop for lunch/food/rest/bathroom every 2 hours...

usually when I have to travel by car the distance is more than 400km. so I keep the speed at 100 or 110km/h (here the limit is 110km/h) all the time and I don´t stop unless for refuel. so my average is always around 100km/h and I get to my destination faster and safer...

and as I posted on "gallery". when I drove the 3.445 km from Curitiba to Belém (4 days driving 12 hours every day) I did this. always between 100 and 110km/h, the car goes fine, you don´t force the engine so much and you don´t consume fuel more than you need...

our speed limits here are:

110 > highways or city highways (government want to change to 130)

80 > big avenues

70 > medium avenues

60 > streets

40 > schools

30 > hospitals

1. If you go faster you arrive quicker.

2. The average speed will still be faster than the limit.

3. Obvs you have to slow down since the limits are for clear days.

4. Where ever you live is clearly doing a better job with speed limits, here it's 80 unless posted on highway, 50 unless posted on regular streets, and 50 everywhere else (30school zones)

Archived