The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Can Gillis Re-define His Career/Redeem Himself?

Pears

We should not expect any more significant moves from MG this summer. We pretty much know what the team is going to look like. The only way MG redeems himself is if the Canucks have a good year. Here is what we need.

1. Luongo has a good year. This is quite possible. He was very good in stretches last year and there is no reason that, at age 35, he cannot be one of the best goaltenders in the NHL.

2. The Sedins and Burrows have one more good year as the first line. No reason why this shouldn't happen. Age-related decline might start to be an issue but one more good year is likely.

3. Kesler recaptures his Selke form (and stays healthy), Booth recaptures his earlier form (and stays healthy) and Kassian, with more hands on coaching, turns into the solid top 6 power forward that his talent suggests. This is the big ticket item. If it happens, the Canucks are looking good.

4. The Canucks have two excellent third line wingers in Hansen and Higgins -- hardworking, physical, two-way players who will help significantly on offense and can play shutdown. What the Canucks need is for someone to emerge as a solid third line centre -- out of Richardson, Schroeder, Gaunce, etc. The odds are at least decent.

5. Solid 4th line with size and toughness. I am projecting Sestito and Weise on the wings and maybe Lane in the middle. Decent shot.

6. On D, we just need another solid year, and if Edler improves his play (as seems likely) and Garrison plays like he did at the end of last year, we might get even better peformance.

If these things happen, the Canucks will be serious Cup contenders. I think point 3 above (the second line) is the biggest uncertainty.

We should not expect any more significant moves from MG this summer. We pretty much know what the team is going to look like. The only way MG redeems himself is if the Canucks have a good year. Here is what we need.

1. Luongo has a good year. This is quite possible. He was very good in stretches last year and there is no reason that, at age 35, he cannot be one of the best goaltenders in the NHL.

2. The Sedins and Burrows have one more good year as the first line. No reason why this shouldn't happen. Age-related decline might start to be an issue but one more good year is likely.

3. Kesler recaptures his Selke form (and stays healthy), Booth recaptures his earlier form (and stays healthy) and Kassian, with more hands on coaching, turns into the solid top 6 power forward that his talent suggests. This is the big ticket item. If it happens, the Canucks are looking good.

4. The Canucks have two excellent third line wingers in Hansen and Higgins -- hardworking, physical, two-way players who will help significantly on offense and can play shutdown. What the Canucks need is for someone to emerge as a solid third line centre -- out of Richardson, Schroeder, Gaunce, etc. The odds are at least decent.

5. Solid 4th line with size and toughness. I am projecting Sestito and Weise on the wings and maybe Lane in the middle. Decent shot.

6. On D, we just need another solid year, and if Edler improves his play (as seems likely) and Garrison plays like he did at the end of last year, we might get even better peformance.

If these things happen, the Canucks will be serious Cup contenders. I think point 3 above (the second line) is the biggest uncertainty.

Go back to the Hodgson trade, and give Buffalo Hodgson Sulzer and a 2nd round pick for Kassian and a 1st round pick and Gillis looks like a genius. Gillis keeps that 1st round pick in the Ballard trade genius. Booth isn't injured the entire season and puts up the points he's capable of, genius.

Keeps Ehrhoff...Genius.

At this point it's to early to tell if he'll sink or swim. But a new coach and a revamped bottom 6 will definetly do wonders for the team.

My personal favorite is how he is singling out players from within BC it seems as he's picked up a glut of those lately, something the team has rarely done.

Ask this question again during the trade deadline

Schneider turns into a bust, because he isn't proven and he has plenty of red flags and Horvat becomes the next Canuck Captain and wins a cup. Suddenly, Gillis will be god.

Honestly, I didn't mind this trade. A few years ago, people were screaming to trade Schneider for a 2nd round pick. Not only has Schneider's value risen, but you get a 9th overall pick out of it. What's not to like? We've wanted a top prospect for years. Is it really true that we could have gotten a better trade? Who knows, but the media has been making stuff up for years.

Schneider could fail, just because he's in a terrible situation. Broduer wants to play for 2 more years, and Schneider will be a backup and maybe try a different style of game. By the time Brodeur retires, Schneider will be a UFA, and a 30 year old..

I thought the Hodgson trade was much worse but Hodgson has turned into a nut job. The Keith Ballard trade was just a complete disaster, but he had a good record prior.

BTW - If he trades Edler, I think it's a good case to fire him. I'd say he'd screwed up the defense, from adding Ballard and keeping Bieksa instead of Ehrhoff. Now, if he trades the Canucks best D, for junk then there's clearly a problem.

Redefine his career? Why on earth would he do that?

Canucks failed to make the playoffs in 2007-08 and on April 23rd 2008 Introduced as Pres and GM.

Canucks make playoffs every year since then, five seasons in a row now.

Canucks win two president's trophies over those five years

Canucks make it to game 7 of the stanley cup playoffs final series.

The teams that have beaten Vancouver in the playoffs are the Blackhawks, Bruins and Kings, three teams whom no one can argue against being the best in the league in the current stretch of recent history.

And this year, after a short season and a lockout the team was eliminated in round one by the Sharks, so i guess you mad bro?

If he makes one good move most of the people pissing and moaning about him will stop. If he makes 10 great moves and the team wins the Stanley Cup some of people pissing and moaning won't give him an ounce of credit.

End of the day what you or I think doesn't matter and it probably wrong.

Year after year Gillis tied anvils to AV's ankles until even he couldn't keep this team afloat. Not only that but Gillis hurt AV's reputation in the process.

AV didn't descend to his "musical chairs" team selections until he was bogged down by Gillis's ineptitude in improving the team AND his cluster--ks of man management issues.

His handling of Manny was terrible, his failure to find a replacement was criminal........I ask you?.....Andrew Ebbett.

Schneider turns into a bust, because he isn't proven and he has plenty of red flags and Horvat becomes the next Canuck Captain and wins a cup. Suddenly, Gillis will be god.

Honestly, I didn't mind this trade. A few years ago, people were screaming to trade Schneider for a 2nd round pick. Not only has Schneider's value risen, but you get a 9th overall pick out of it. What's not to like? We've wanted a top prospect for years. Is it really true that we could have gotten a better trade? Who knows, but the media has been making stuff up for years.

Schneider could fail, just because he's in a terrible situation. Broduer wants to play for 2 more years, and Schneider will be a backup and maybe try a different style of game. By the time Brodeur retires, Schneider will be a UFA, and a 30 year old..

I thought the Hodgson trade was much worse but Hodgson has turned into a nut job. The Keith Ballard trade was just a complete disaster, but he had a good record prior.

BTW - If he trades Edler, I think it's a good case to fire him. I'd say he'd screwed up the defense, from adding Ballard and keeping Bieksa instead of Ehrhoff. Now, if he trades the Canucks best D, for junk then there's clearly a problem.

Archived