The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian music in the U.S.

whcanuck

What I'm trying to point out is the Tradgically Hip are not the Fricken Beatles like some people believe.

they are a love hate band.

To be honest I was more into the punk scene in the 90's and those bands along with their fans did not want to be part of a major label, except for Reset, I loved those guys until they became simple plan.

So what I'm getting at is if they wanted fame, were properly managed, and made great music why wouldn't a record label pick them up and put their music all over the USA? If Moist was that great why didn't they? You say they would have certain success yet a record label refuses to make money off them cause they are Canadian?

Or is it because they did not reach that same level of a Avril or Nickleback.

That's the thing though. If you don't have at least one song that resonates with a wide audience - even with people who wouldn't normally care for your music - it's going to be tough to crack the American market.

If Kim Mitchell wrote just one Thunderstruck, he could be dah dah daaaah -ing from the lantern-lit balcony of his mansion right now.

That's the thing though. If you don't have at least one song that resonates with a wide audience - even with people who wouldn't normally care for your music - it's going to be tough to crack the American market.

If Kim Mitchell wrote just one Thunderstruck, he could be dah dah daaaah -ing from the lantern-lit balcony of his mansion right now.

I actually preferred the Max Webster stuff myself. Early Kim Mitchell was pretty good too (Go for Soda, Lager and Ale), but some of the later stuff like "I am a Wild Party", "Rock and Roll Duty" and "Rockland Wonderland" just didn't do it for me...

If you want to talk about talent though, Kim's sideman Peter Fredette is pretty amazing. (He's the guy on keys and singing the high counterpoint on Patio Lanterns) He plays every instrument and stage (and plays them well) and is actually a better singer than KM...

@Butcher

Thanks for posting the article, interesting read. I agree that I wish it went into more detail on why they thought they had "missed thier window". Sounded like the Hip did get some exposure though.....Woodstock, plus small venues in Chicago and Philly and other cities. Not great, but not horrible either.

I agree that the American music industry is the biggest in the world. I agree doing well in the States was a big factor as to whether a band/song would gain international success. I disagree that its the American music industry/media's fault if a group doesnt make it big. Its not like the industry is obligated to give every group a chance...its not American music label's job to make sure bands everywhere are getting thier fair exposure. Thier goal was to sell music, regardless where the artist was from. There are way, WAAAAAY too many non-American artists that were huge in the States to say the American music industry was shunning foreign acts.

Not everyone can get noticed....i can name alot of great American bands that never got thier break. Doesnt mean they werent good enough....just never got noticed. Its alot easier today with technology and youtube and whatnot.

Fair enough, but the vast majority of one-hit wonders don't live in mansions these days. Much like lottery winners, they are more likely to wind up further in debt than they were the day they bought the ticket. AC/DC had a ton of hits to buy those mansions.

Vanilla Ice is a good example of the exception to this rule though, dude was very astute to avoid the usual pitfalls of sudden money/fame (see, MC Hammer and his front gate) and instead lay low and invest everything.

(we're getting off-track here and I apologize!)

Archived