The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Sign Mason Raymond or not?

TIGER SINGH

307 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have 5M in cap space.

Sign Tanev for 2M

Sign Alberts for 1M

That leaves 2M for either a depth defenceman or a depth forward. Personally I'd rather sign say Fistric to a 2M deal than Raymond, but we could always try to sign him for around 1.2M and use the other 800K on a worse defenceman.

First we need to sign Tanev, and Gilman can crunch the salary cap numbers, personally I like Raymond but he isnt anything special, he's fast, but is a turnover machine, he slips and slides in the offensive zone and cant score, yes he did score 10 goals last season but people forget that the majority of those goals were in the first 20 or so games of the season. Kassian is going to be taking a top 6 role this upcoming season, he'll be paired with the Sedins, and Burrows may or may not be playing with Kesler depending on Tortorellas decision to possibly reintroduce the AMEX line as our 2nd line. Raymond's agent will finally have to tell Raymond that there is no interest for him in the free agent market and will probably approach canucks management asking for 1 year deal, if his price is low SIGN HIM, if he's asking for anything north of 1.75 mil then walk away.

raymond has skill and others have skill but not as good or proven..sure he is is softer but hes not that bad..he has strength for sure cause he can ad will drive to the net and has good hockey sense..raymond is a player given the correct linemates will do well.

When Raymond pays the price to take the puck to the net, he is a dangerous player. The problem is that he seldom plays that type of game and his low percentage perimeter shots don't exactly strike fear into the opposition. It is time to insert some youth into the lineup like Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat or Shinkaruk.

I would not sign him because he is not what the Canucks need right now. Raymond might be a good fit on a team like Edmonton.

Since the poll question is a simple yes/no choice, I'm inclined to keep the answer as simple as possible. Ok I guess not super-simple, but something like this:

Barring any further life-altering injuries, I could see him growing in confidence and showing his worth once again. If he has been asking too much, that could be an indicator of overconfidence, or more simply, just his confidence that he still can. If other teams haven't been willing to overpay, there may indeed just be a deal still to be had. That is, providing no bridges have been burned yet and both parties are amicable to it.

Now just what the right price might be I leave to the people who know more. But it seems to me that a discount one year deal could minimize risk to the Canucks, give incentive to Raymond to earn a bigger future contract, and render the NTC concept meaningless for now.

Archived