The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on Tortorella. "He's going to expect more from everybody"

Pavel Burrows

Not even anything oldnewsworthy....

Torts didn't have a problem with calling Vinny out in the media...

This is typical CDC. Everyone slams AV for not holding players accountable, but the minute he does, they're slamming him for throwing players under the bus. What makes you think it will be any different with Torts? There will be a "honeymoon" period where nothing he does will warrant criticism, (even if he puts Kassian on the 4th, or plays a reliable veteran over an untested rookie) but eventually the second guessing will start.

BTW: I still see a lot of this reference to the players "not caring" and playing "lazy, uninspired" hockey...

Have we all forgotten how this team stayed in the hunt last year, despite having no second line?

The problem with AV is sometimes some of the things he brought to the media were just plain dumb. Saying Kesler needed to use his wingers was fair.

But he also called out Hodgson when it turned out he was injured.

He made the same mistake with Kesler suggesting his injuries were no excuse for poor play, it turned out Kesler had been playing through his torn labrum. Way to make a guy feel appreciated for playing through pain... And he did it the day after he signed a new contract, a bit of grandstanding. Seems to me he also said something stupid about Lou that day which MG had him say was a poor French translation?

Gotta keep some things in the room!

You see, you gotta get the French style here. AV saying injuries are no excuse for poor play is saying Kesler, who insists on playing while broken and almost dead, shouldn't be playing at all. Same with Hodgson. You're injured, get off the ice.

Torts will either motivate or aggrevate the canucks roster. AV let this core controll what was said in the locker room, but Torts is not afraid to step into the locker room and tell what is needed to be heard. If anything there will be alittle backlash because this group is a veteran group and knows how to handle themselves but Torts can light that fire and get them going. I don't like the idea of the Sedins blocking shots on the PK, but putting them on the PK isn't so crazy. They stay warmed up instead of sitting on the bench for an extended amount of time and that could lead to more short handed chances. Kes with Danny and/or Hank with Burrows/Higgins would make the other teams d-men think twice about pinching in.

I can't wait for the contradicting interviews after a loss:

Henrik Sedin: "Well, they are a pretty solid team. We played as hard as we could but unfortunately they were able to capitalize on some lucky bounces."

Daniel Sedin: "The team played great tonight, it was one of our best games of the year, we just came up short at the end."

John Tortorella: "Well we sucked tonight and that's all there is to it. We weren't stiff, we weren't focused and we didn't play our game. This team had better pull their collective heads out of their ***es if they expect to win any more games. No more questions. I'm done."

People are acting like Torts and Kesler haven't spoken yet. News flash, they have; this is guaranteed seeing as how Kesler was present during Torts press conference.

Relax people. He was asked a question in an interview and he responded. Honestly, what is he supposed to say? "I don't give a frack what he does, I just need to play my game..?" These forums would be going ape crap if that were the case.

CDC, you never let me down.

I think Torts will be great for the younger guys. He may use them to motivate the older guys. Obviously AV wasn't great for the younger guys. Cody Hodgson has never been the same since he played for AV. I hope Torts doesn't go by gut feeling or hunches. Maybe there will be some logic and strategic moves, better shoot-out choices, time outs, and actual coaching from the bench during a game.

I think Torts will be great for the younger guys. He may use them to motivate the older guys. Obviously AV wasn't great for the younger guys. Cody Hodgson has never been the same since he played for AV. I hope Torts doesn't go by gut feeling or hunches. Maybe there will be some logic and strategic moves, better shoot-out choices, time outs, and actual coaching from the bench during a game.

So, what is he then? Top six or third liner? I'd say its more Hansen's desire, than AV's development of him, that got Hansen into the lineup. How many nights early in his career, did AV scratch Hansen? Hansen is a good, I won't give him a damned good one, hockey player, that might even get better if pushed more from Torts. Never thought I'd say that, because I at first didn't like his hiring at first.

I'll give you Burrows, but Tanev hasn't played enough games yet, and Hansen has moved up and down the lineup like an elevator throughout his time in Vancouver. His career hasn't been defined yet, is he a top six or a 3/4?

To me AV's help is like a painting instructor giving a blank canvas and paints to students, sits back even if he notices mistakes and then gives a letter grade but no explanation. Some people shine under that environment or will take longer than they should to figure it out. To me though a good coach would be one who gives the C+ but will say try this and try that to get it up to a B level. Now Torts seems like he'll be a crazy gym teacher like the eye patch guy from the movie dodgeball but I think they're really grooming Gulutzan who they want to get more experience before diving in.

Archived