The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on Tortorella. "He's going to expect more from everybody"

Pavel Burrows

I'll give you Burrows, but Tanev hasn't played enough games yet, and Hansen has moved up and down the lineup like an elevator throughout his time in Vancouver. His career hasn't been defined yet, is he a top six or a 3/4?

Grrrr... ok how about this: every time I wore my Canucks hat the team won 5 games.. but can you prove that wearing the hat won the games? Of course not.. it's not causation or coorelation, it's coincidence.

How did AV help the players develop? There's proof of players that didn't do well either and those would be AV's fault. I think I can conclude a hands-off approach works for some players and hands-on approach works for others. AV pretty much strictly went with a hands-off approach the whole time but I feel a good leader should use situational leadership. Leave Burrows alone with the Sedins and delegate Bowness work with Tanev but what about Hodgson, Grabner, Schroeder, etc.?

I can't say that coaching is a science and that A+B=C but to not even have an explanation of how things happened is pretty weak. If a big part of coaching is to just leave players alone in the system and just to control their minutes then I'm fine with that explanation. I still think a great coach would go above and beyond that but somehow fans are just stupid for thinking what seems to be simple common sense.

I would say enough young players have developed under AV to say that he has a good track record with young players. What's happened here is players that people like aren't used the way people wanted to AV got a reputation on CDC as not being good with youth. I'm not sure that opinion is shared by many others though.

I'm still trying to figure out WHAT Vigneault did to develop players. At the same time Burrows went on a tear, Hansen and Tanev improved I was wearing my Canucks hat so I should still think it's my hat that developed the players too. I feel that the players figured a lot themselves but I credit AV for giving them an environment (ie: system, culture) to do it. However, I feel it's an incomplete job to stop there and that the players could do even better with hands-on help. Also, with hands-on help I feel those players could have developed even faster and be better.

Haven't you ever had a coach, teacher or boss where regardless or in spite of how they coached/taught/managed that you did better anyway? Usually those who do help you get better gave you some specifics that helped you rather than through mind games. The best managers seem to be those who balance between giving you freedom and helping you when you need help. If all AV did was give freedom but never helped when needed then I can't say he's all that great.

I'm still trying to figure out WHAT Vigneault did to develop players. At the same time Burrows went on a tear, Hansen and Tanev improved I was wearing my Canucks hat so I should still think it's my hat that developed the players too. I feel that the players figured a lot themselves but I credit AV for giving them an environment (ie: system, culture) to do it. However, I feel it's an incomplete job to stop there and that the players could do even better with hands-on help. Also, with hands-on help I feel those players could have developed even faster and be better.

Haven't you ever had a coach, teacher or boss where regardless or in spite of how they coached/taught/managed that you did better anyway? Usually those who do help you get better gave you some specifics that helped you rather than through mind games. The best managers seem to be those who balance between giving you freedom and helping you when you need help. If all AV did was give freedom but never helped when needed then I can't say he's all that great.

Archived